Karyann

I found this on a beach in Prince Edward Island, Canada and i’m trying to identify it. I haven’t weighed it, but I’m estimating around 10 pounds, and also has a bit of a waxy feel. Any ideas?

9440133B-CBC0-4FB9-817B-B716B425B7FB.jpeg

1056BEF2-62D6-40DC-BAF1-69ABE6B9A128.jpeg

CB3D44C4-FDFE-415A-9B6E-0F814CB165AB.jpeg

64EE70D3-9786-4364-A3F0-0AC00121B975.jpeg

5A95A559-43BC-4CEC-A53D-8AB0B2D9CEAD.jpeg

C88BE421-D322-408B-90A0-285D0A6BEFD6.jpeg

Not totally sure about gypsum.

Its a beach find. While some parts appear dissolved, some parts appear quite "sharp".

Could talc or fine-grained muscovite be an option?

I think not, this island appears to be known for gypsum deposits, not for metamorphic rocks.
Franz Bernhard

9 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

Not totally sure about gypsum.

Its a beach find. While some parts appear dissolved, some parts appear quite "sharp".

Could talc or fine-grained muscovite be an option?

I think not, this island appears to be known for gypsum deposits, not for metamorphic rocks.
Franz Bernhard

Dirty grey outside, white inside. I learned about weathering/staining of gypsum when my family visited the island. I was only five years old, so the long red sand beaches are about the only other thing I remember about it. 

• Thank You 1

@Ludwigia,

do you mean its wax? Because I tend to think it is. Or where you thinking about talcum?

I have found big lumps of wax on many different beaches and used to make candles by just drilling a hole and inserting a wick- until I learned how much  manmade toxins wax can collect from seawater...

Best Regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

7 hours ago, Karyann said:

Do you know if gypsum melts immediately with a hot needle test? Because this does.

No, neither gypsum or talc are melting under a hot needle.

Interesting twist to that story, thanks to @Mahnmut, good catch!
Franz Bernhard

Hi Karyann,

That you applied the hot needle test makes me wonder if you are hoping for ambergris?

Your find has some of the characteristics, but I think wax is the best fit, and much more common nowadays. The odour should give it away when using the needle.

Another option for whitish (or yellow-amberlike) stuff from the beach (especially in the baltic sea) is white phosphorus from WW2 bombs, we can exclude that by location and mainly because your house is not on fire by now...

Best Regards,

J

Edited by Mahnmut
additional info
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

4 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

No, neither gypsum or talc are melting under a hot needle.

Interesting twist to that story, thanks to @Mahnmut, good catch!
Franz Bernhard

Thanks Franz

• Thank You 1

7 hours ago, Mahnmut said:

Hi Karyann,

That you applied the hot needle test makes me wonder if you are hoping for ambergris?

Your find has some of the characteristics, but I think wax is the best fit, and much more common nowadays. The odour should give it away when using the needle.

Another option for whitish (or yellow-amberlike) stuff from the beach (especially in the baltic sea) is white phosphorus from WW2 bombs, we can exclude that by location and mainly because your house is not on fire by now...

Best Regards,

J

Yes, someone thought it might be Ambergris, but there is no odor. So wax it is! Thanks, K