Parker Brown

Hello everyone,

I have gotten really into meg diving this last year to the point where I am driving down to Venice from Orlando twice a month to dive for teeth. I have started to look into getting black water diving and I am not really sure where to start. Does anyone have any rivers that are good for black water diving? I have heard talk that people do it in the Peace river and the St. Marys and I didn't know if that is where most people go or if there are other rivers people dive that hold a good amount of teeth. 

I don't want to sound like the guy who is asking for your super secret spots but I'm just trying to find out where I should start to get into this. 

If anyone does black water diving and ever needs someone to go with I would be very interested in going with you and I would certainly throw in for gas money. I also have my own boat so we cold take it out also if that is an issue you have.

Thank you for any information you can give me,

Parker

Stay out of the Myakka--more gators there than fossils. :oO:

I'd encourage you to become a member of the Tampa Bay Fossil Club (you're a lot closer in Orlando than I am up in Gainesville). ;)

https://tampabayfossilclub.com/

Couple of guys in that club who do quite a bit of diving for fossils in Florida rivers. If you get to a meeting ask for Dr. Bob Sinibaldi.

Keep in mind that blackwater diving with possible entrapment obstructions is significantly different and more dangerous than diving for fossils offshore in the relatively higher visibility conditions available there. More powerful underwater lights and more frequent checks of your equipment and gauges is needed in the limited visibility where you may not be able to see your hand in front of your face. It's often hunting by touch rather than sight. Dr. Bob would enjoy talking to you about it as diving for fossils is one of his favorite things.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

On 2/2/2023 at 6:15 PM, digit said:

Stay out of the Myakka--more gators there than fossils. :oO:

I'd encourage you to become a member of the Tampa Bay Fossil Club (you're a lot closer in Orlando than I am up in Gainesville). ;)

https://tampabayfossilclub.com/

Couple of guys in that club who do quite a bit of diving for fossils in Florida rivers. If you get to a meeting ask for Dr. Bob Sinibaldi.

Keep in mind that blackwater diving with possible entrapment obstructions is significantly different and more dangerous than diving for fossils offshore in the relatively higher visibility conditions available there. More powerful underwater lights and more frequent checks of your equipment and gauges is needed in the limited visibility where you may not be able to see your hand in front of your face. It's often hunting by touch rather than sight. Dr. Bob would enjoy talking to you about it as diving for fossils is one of his favorite things.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thank you! 

I will definitely be joining the club and hopefully see you there some time!!