Hell Creek ID-Tooth and Scute or Random Bone

James Savage

Hello everyone

I went on a commercial dino dig tour Summer 2022 of the Hell Creek formation in the Butte County, South Dakota area and found lots of bones and spitter teeth and had a great time.

These two were in my unknown/unidentifiable pile and I've recently done some cleaning/prep to them and was requesting some help with possible IDs.

The first item (on the left in most of the images) looks like a broken rooted ceratopsian/triceratops tooth to me with ridges and enamel showing.  The second item (on the right in most of the images) looks a little like a scute with a raised round/circular area in the center and a lot of what looks like scratch marks on the opposite surface.  I'm a newbie to the Hell Creek and these guesses may be off.  

Let me know if you would like any additional angles or detail for help with the ID.

Thanks a bunch for looking

IMG_7715.JPG

IMG_7714.JPG

IMG_7716.JPG

IMG_7717.JPG

IMG_7721.JPG

IMG_7723.JPG

IMG_7724.JPG

IMG_7726.JPG

IMG_7728.JPG

IMG_7720.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

Yes that does look like a Ceratopsian tooth with most of the crown missing just roots.   Not sure on the other might be an Osteoderm, pretty worn

40 minutes ago, jpc said:

the other one looks like a water worn chunk of ceratopsian frill.

I think you are spot on, good call

Nice couple chunks of trike.  First is a tooth with a great root, shame the crown is broken.  The other looks like a well worn bit of trike frill.  

Was this your first time with Walter?

Edited by hadrosauridae

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Thanks so much for everyone viewing and replying to the thread.  I appreciate everyone's expertise.

This was my first trip with Walter and I've got 2 more separate trips booked with him this summer.  I've been going through my findings from last year and looking forward to the summer.

Thanks again

• Enjoyed 1