Interesting unknowns

Shellseeker

I went out hunting today, needed the exercise.

Predicted afternoon showers, but warm and sunny all morning. I was doing pretty well,  constant finds of Bull, Dusky, Tiger shark teeth, mixed with Osteoderms from Alligator, Armadillo, Glyptodon.

About 1:30, getting ready to kayak back to my truck in order to beat the rains, I saw something that I did not recognize in the sieve.  

xx

IMG_8468text.thumb.jpg.4fcf486f81b50843fb6a478647924ffc.jpg

I turned it over and over trying to figure out what it might be... When I saw this next edge,  I thought I knew...

IMG_8470e.thumb.jpg.66fd220ce3beee439f2402fc97dc81c0.jpg

But maybe I was incorrect.  What do you think it is...

IMG_8471e.thumb.jpg.ef98540d1e839c491c4870113a5f6f8d.jpg

But I am running out of time.... I spotted a VERY small tooth, complete with roots.... I have a guess but I see what others think.

IMG_8488-1text2.thumb.jpg.5f722fe712a0334773f24a73270f035d.jpg

IMG_8486e.thumb.jpg.0f439ac10ddac3ff2363d7c108933082.jpgIMG_8484e.thumb.jpg.059b55f023ec2b57bf422358b822a54c.jpg

Then a 1st timer for me...

IMG_8476text.thumb.jpg.dc0ee4b82e6293b887a78259f055cccb.jpg

and one of my favorites,   a Cetacean ear bone and a big one at that...

EarbineMerge.thumb.jpg.37a2c0c376dc625c4f99228c956a7b40.jpg

These were all in the same sieve... along with a couple of shark teeth and a large Gar Fish scale... Really fortunate...

I left after this sieve because I knew the next sieve likely would not be as good,  and if I kept digging,  I would get drenched....

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 4

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

First one is Probiscidean enamel, right? Mastodon or Gomph from the looks of it. And that’s a very pretty little deer tooth! 

• I Agree 2

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

4 hours ago, Meganeura said:

First one is Probiscidean enamel, right? Mastodon or Gomph from the looks of it. And that’s a very pretty little deer tooth! 

4 minutes ago, PODIGGER said:

Would think the first is mastodon.

Yes, that is the crux of the matter. Once I saw the 2nd photo, I knew it must be Mastodon or Gomph. Is there sufficient detail in the 3rd photo to lean one way or the other ?.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/63498-mastodon-or-gomphothere/&/topic/63498-mastodon-or-gomphothere/?p=664438

I managed to acquire this one from @Harry Pristis recently, and had a small Gomph of my own...

GN_mastojuvA.jpg.0c4620b7cbea896ee7c703887984934b.jpg

IMG_6020.thumb.JPEG.f199e5f33b8a0ef0f20d5d4ad19fbf53.JPEG

On the tooth, size alone would seem to dictate deer.  Just working on the position upper/lower,  left/right,  M1/m1 ? or

The 3rd one looks fishy to me.  Maybe @Al Dente has insight or experience...

The ear bone I believe is our favorite whale in SW Florida... Kogiopsis

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

48 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Might be a ray denticle. Do you have a photo of the other side?

1 hour ago, Shellseeker said:

The 3rd one looks fishy to me. 

sturgeon. genus Acipenser 
Edited by hemipristis

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

2 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Yes, that is the crux of the matter. Once I saw the 2nd photo, I knew it must be Mastodon or Gomph. Is there sufficient detail in the 3rd photo to lean one way or the other ?.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/63498-mastodon-or-gomphothere/&/topic/63498-mastodon-or-gomphothere/?p=664438

I managed to acquire this one from @Harry Pristis recently, and had a small Gomph of my own...

GN_mastojuvA.jpg.0c4620b7cbea896ee7c703887984934b.jpg

IMG_6020.thumb.JPEG.f199e5f33b8a0ef0f20d5d4ad19fbf53.JPEG

On the tooth, size alone would seem to dictate deer.  Just working on the position upper/lower,  left/right,  M1/m1 ? or

The ear bone I believe is our favorite whale in SW Florida... Kogiopsis

I’m thinking the deer tooth is a deciduous premolar!

2 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Might be a ray denticle. Do you have a photo of the other side?

Here is the back...

IMG_8475.thumb.JPG.20078eef59b904f8339b812118f9a22f.JPG

Also found this Buckler....

IMG_8525text.thumb.jpg.72d482a35db3ee0e9c8a3320d5dbe7ee.jpgIMG_8528text.thumb.jpg.4e02f7b5177f31b35662e9af80543c29.jpg

I think I will have to consolidate... these are fragile...

2 hours ago, hemipristis said:
sturgeon. genus Acipenser 

Fantastic,  Thank you  !!!   Assume it is a scale  ?

Is this also fish.... I cleaned it off and it seemed similar

IMG_8543text.thumb.jpg.3f3a72bb87f0f0a5d9430f75e68ee421.jpgIMG_8544e.thumb.jpg.1b5ede41f0a04b28fff9c8de35d56cf4.jpg

On 2/5/2023 at 4:40 AM, Shellseeker said:

Here is the back...

IMG_8475.thumb.JPG.20078eef59b904f8339b812118f9a22f.JPG

I think I will have to consolidate... these are fragile...

Fantastic,  Thank you  !!!   Assume it is a scale  ?

Sturgeons are ancient armored tanks. Their scales have evolved into essentially body armor. I'm not sure where "scale" ends and "dermal scute" begins.

The flakiness (similar to fish bones), spongiform texture (seen in your piece in one corner), and the sometimes quasi-geometric shape are key.  Here is a complete modern version (photo courtesy of Elasmo.com). BTW, yours is a sweet one!

sturgeon (1).jpeg

Edited by hemipristis
  • I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

George Santayana

On 2/4/2023 at 1:40 PM, Shellseeker said:

Also found this Buckler....

IMG_8528text.thumb.jpg.4e02f7b5177f31b35662e9af80543c29.jpg

IMG_8543text.thumb.jpg.3f3a72bb87f0f0a5d9430f75e68ee421.jpgIMG_8544e.thumb.jpg.1b5ede41f0a04b28fff9c8de35d56cf4.jpg

These I don't recognize. 

George Santayana

On 2/4/2023 at 10:19 PM, hemipristis said:

Sturgeons are ancient armored tanks. Their scales have evolved into essentially body armor. I'm not sure where "scale" ends and "dermal scute" begins.

The flakiness (similar to fish bones), spongiform texture (seen in your piece in one corner), and the sometimes quasi-geometric shape are key.  Here is a complete modern version (photo courtesy of Elasmo.com). BTW, yours is a sweet one!

sturgeon (1).jpeg

I was so pleased when you Identified this for me.  I had no clue!!!!

I went back to this location in the last couple of days  and found MORE of these dermal scutes,  2 broken ones and this 58 x 40 x 7 mm one... They are VERY fragile...

IMG_8596left.thumb.jpg.7639b96ce66f4367bdea0e15a06428a2.jpg

Sturgeon,  wow.  I am picking these out of a Florida creek.  These are freshwater fish, so my current shallow creek must have been far different whenever this Sturgeon was making a home there...Just thought you would enjoy this photo,   Ken also @digit

On 2/9/2023 at 10:47 PM, Shellseeker said:

I went back to this location in the last couple of days  and found MORE of these dermal scutes,  2 broken ones and this 58 x 40 x 7 mm one... They are VERY fragile...

IMG_8596left.thumb.jpg.7639b96ce66f4367bdea0e15a06428a2.jpg

Sturgeon,  wow.  I am picking these out of a Florida creek.  These are freshwater fish, so my current shallow creek must have been far different whenever this Sturgeon was making a home there...Just thought you would enjoy this photo,   Ken also @digit

This one is surprisingly similar to my Tarpon scale in size and shape! Though I know Tarpon are salt water fish - just interesting comparison to think about. Very pretty scales Jack!

Very nice!

theyre like potato chips, I warn you: you will be unable to stop picking them up haha. Your second find there is another complete one. Good stuff

George Santayana

20 hours ago, Meganeura said:

This one is surprisingly similar to my Tarpon scale in size and shape! Though I know Tarpon are salt water fish - just interesting comparison to think about. Very pretty scales Jack!

I’d love to see the Tarpon scale!

George Santayana

Sturgeons may be anadromous. They can be found in fresh, estuarine and salt water 

George Santayana

3 hours ago, hemipristis said:

I’d love to see the Tarpon scale!

Keith, you’ve seen it before! :heartylaugh: I’ll send better pics of it to you this evening though if you’d like.

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2023 at 1:40 PM, Shellseeker said:

Hmm… I found something that I believe is the same as this. I temporarily labeled mine as base of deer antler but wanted to return to it once I saw something similar. Did you determine anything about yours yet? Here are some pics of mine. 22mm x 10.6mm. The dark side is indented. I have the same fascination with oddities as you do :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

7 hours ago, Amarykah said:

Hmm… I found something that I believe is the same as this. I temporarily labeled mine as base of deer antler but wanted to return to it once I saw something similar. Did you determine anything about yours yet? Here are some pics of mine. 22mm x 10.6mm. The dark side is indented. I have the same fascination with oddities as you do

Thank you.   You have helped me tremendously  !!!! It is some of the magic of TFF for me.  I do not now what my find is... I do not have a clue... and unfortunately I do not now what your is... but I am going to work hard on identification..

WHY ?  you reopened this thread,  and @Harry Pristis got a 2nd pass on it.  Harry has FANTASTIC collections that go back ,at least into the Miocene..

He saw and recognized a tooth of one of the earliest deer... Eocoileus gentryorum from the Palmetto local fauna of Florida, USA, at 5 Ma-4.7 Ma (Webb et al., 2008).

and I found one,  and Harry identified it.  I can not thank either of you enough   !!!!

I am up at 3am and drive 9 hours tomorrow...  When I get back, I will focus on your find.

• Enjoyed 3

10 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Thank you.   You have helped me tremendously  !!!! It is some of the magic of TFF for me.  I do not now what my find is... I do not have a clue... and unfortunately I do not now what your is... but I am going to work hard on identification..

WHY ?  you reopened this thread,  and @Harry Pristis got a 2nd pass on it.  Harry has FANTASTIC collections that go back ,at least into the Miocene..

He saw and recognized a tooth of one of the earliest deer... Eocoileus gentryorum from the Palmetto local fauna of Florida, USA, at 5 Ma-4.7 Ma (Webb et al., 2008).

and I found one,  and Harry identified it.  I can not thank either of you enough   !!!!

I am up at 3am and drive 9 hours tomorrow...  When I get back, I will focus on your find.

Sigh. Now I’m going to have to look through my deer teeth to see if I can find something similar…

Osteoderms (Boney Armor)
..my thoughts went here, too, when wondering what mine was. Maybe it will give you an idea :) I’ll be at the river tomorrow looking for more oddities!