Prehistoric carrot?

jnicholes

Hi everyone,

I decided to visit a spot where I found several wood fossils in Travertine. The spot is in the canyon near Twin Falls, Idaho.

While I was going through some rocks, I found a rock that had this sticking out of it. As I grabbed the rock, it accidentally broke off.

When I looked at it, I could tell right away that it was definitely a fossil of some kind. On the top, it looks like it had a part where something grew out of it at one point. It’s completely hollow inside, except for something that I can’t get a picture of right now. It also has a part on the side where it looks like a root came out at one point.

To me, it almost looks like a carrot root. I actually found a similar living plant near that fossil. I am posting a picture of that as well.

Any idea what this is?

Jared.

9CB894ED-4882-4F74-A2E6-6F548D00DE6C.jpeg

24FF6A36-1E28-41F3-9F8C-E497C649556E.jpeg

E9396478-E081-4992-97C6-169084730268.jpeg

4E55D1A1-0848-4013-B7D4-82A55137878F.jpeg

F1F88C22-6022-47AA-9215-A758A7B84277.jpeg

983F5B28-1039-4454-9935-C59AA6A1B760.jpeg

DA64D101-B131-476D-9E22-7308225D3057.jpeg

That’s what I thought at first. However, I have to disagree. There is something cylindrical inside the hole. Kind of like a crinoid casting, but not exactly.

I could be wrong, though.

Like I said, it’s very difficult to get a picture of what’s inside the hole. I’m still working on it.

OK, it took some effort, but here’s a picture of the inside. There’s something small and donut shaped.

Like I said, it almost looks like a crinoid stem to me.

60D80437-AC5B-4CAA-96DB-2F5F5920201B.jpeg

B76B1231-45CE-4965-B4A8-EF292E0338BE.jpeg

It looks like a piece of stalactite which would make sense if you are finding travertine in the area.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 3

1 minute ago, Al Dente said:

It looks like a piece of stalactite which would make sense if you are finding travertine in the area.

The only problem with that was that it was horizontally attached to the canyon when I found it. Not vertical.

I really don’t know what it is.

9 hours ago, jnicholes said:

The only problem with that was that it was horizontally attached to the canyon when I found it. Not vertical.

It's possible that it could belong to relocated sediments.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

14 hours ago, Rockwood said:

@Carl has had some experience with Ophimorpha. He may be able to help with the internal texture.

Not seeing Ophiomorpha here. I think that since this is travertine, this is more likely a plant stem mold where only the mineral coating is perserved.

Edited by Carl
  • I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Carl said:

Not seeing Ophiomorpha here. I think that since this is travertine, this is more likely a plant stem mold where only the mineral coating is perserved.

Thanks for getting back. I think you’re right. There are a lot of wood fossils, and Wood imprints in that area.

Here’s another one I found the same day.

image.jpg

• Enjoyed 1