Odd thin rock. Fossil?

jnicholes

Hi everyone,

I forgot to post this in another post where I asked for a fossil ID. I am posting it now.

The last time I went out looking for fossils, I went to a travertine deposit in the canyon near Twin Falls, Idaho. I found an odd rock that looked like a carrot. I also found this there. It’s extremely thin, maybe about 1 to 2 mm thin.

I have no idea what it is, or if it’s even a fossil or not.

If it is a fossil, what is it?

If it’s not a fossil, then I really need to do research and find a new place to look around. I haven’t found any interesting fossils since I moved to near Twin Falls, Idaho.

It’s discouraging, actually.

Anyway, let me know what you think it is.

Jared.

FC9F01B6-A31C-4E6F-B6EC-CAC9CB2BBA62.jpeg

Help us help you.  Please post more photos.  :fistbump:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

3 hours ago, jnicholes said:

I found an odd rock that looked like a carrot.

It's likely the same thing in lettuce. :)

I apologize, somehow a non fossil picture snuck in.

That is C/2022 E3 (ZTF)

A comet. Picture was taken through my telescope.

• Enjoyed 6

Seems to be either a concretion, nodule or dendrites and not a fossil

Just now, Pliosaur said:

Seems to be either a concretion, nodule or dendrites and not a fossil

Understood. Thank you for letting me know.

To me it looks like a disintegrating dirty snowball.

Joke aside, although I cannot tell you what exactly that smaller thing  is, I would bet its a fragmentary fossil of some kind, that serration being my main indicator.

Maybe a lime-encrusted leaf? @FranzBernhard?

Best Regards,

J

Edited by Mahnmut
additional info.
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Let me do some research. I’m going to compare it to some pictures on the Internet. Maybe that will help me out. I will get back to you all.

I found more evidence.

Take a look at the photo. I cleaned off the rock, getting rid of some extra dirt. This is the result.

There are veins, making me suspect it’s a leaf fossil.

What do you think?

752603E3-F1A2-4458-9E89-82056474FC42.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

Thanks for getting back and helping me ID! First find of 2023!

I’m actually heading back to the spot as we speak, to see if there’s anything else.

I’ll post more on a different thread.

Thanks again,

Jared.

Jared, are there springs or karstic rocks in the area?  Have you checked a geologic map to know what formations are in the area?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

To be honest, I don’t even know what those are. I will take a look at a geological map, though.

If it helps to find out, I can PM you the exact location of where the spot is. I am actually heading there today.

An encrusted leaf is indeed a possibility here, taking also the travertine environment into consideration.

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, jnicholes said:

I apologize, somehow a non fossil picture snuck in.

That is C/2022 E3 (ZTF)

A comet. Picture was taken through my telescope.

The leaf is really cool - but as a fellow (amateur) astronomer - this is an awesome pic!

• I Agree 2

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

5 hours ago, jnicholes said:

the spot I found it is Pliocene and upper Miocene Basalt

Well that is not very conducive to fossils and I see from the geologic map you linked that indeed much of the county is covered by igneous rocks which generally do not contain fossils (especially basalts).  But I do see Hagerman Fossil Beds up to the north and some mention of springs, so if indeed there are travertine deposits where you found this, then that is much more promising for fossils.  You might put a bit of vinegar on one corner.  If you get some bubbling, then travertine is indeed a possibility.  If travertine coating a leaf is likely, then the next question is how old are these deposits, are they still active today?

On 2/7/2023 at 5:52 PM, jnicholes said:

I haven’t found any interesting fossils since I moved to near Twin Falls, Idaho.

Have you been up to Hagerman Fossil Beds, that looks like a neat assemblage of Pliocene aged mammals, etc?  I know you can't collect there, but maybe similar deposits exist elsewhere in accessible areas???

27 minutes ago, ClearLake said:

Well that is not very conducive to fossils and I see from the geologic map you linked that indeed much of the county is covered by igneous rocks which generally do not contain fossils (especially basalts).  But I do see Hagerman Fossil Beds up to the north and some mention of springs, so if indeed there are travertine deposits where you found this, then that is much more promising for fossils.  You might put a bit of vinegar on one corner.  If you get some bubbling, then travertine is indeed a possibility.  If travertine coating a leaf is likely, then the next question is how old are these deposits, are they still active today?

Have you been up to Hagerman Fossil Beds, that looks like a neat assemblage of Pliocene aged mammals, etc?  I know you can't collect there, but maybe similar deposits exist elsewhere in accessible areas???

First, I have something to say, then I have a question.

I just did the vinegar test on an expendable piece I found today. It bubbled A LOT. Not to the vinegar and baking soda degree, but it still bubbled.

Now my question:

What do you mean by “still active today?”

One other thing, I forgot to mention, it seems that these travertine deposits with fossils are on top of buried or slightly exposed igneous rock, as a whole new layer. I’m attaching a picture of a piece I found today to show you what I mean. I had to pry it off of an igneous rock.

As for the age, I do not know. All I know is how deep they were in the canyon.

Jared

image.jpg

Forgot a picture.

This is in vinegar. After taking it out, I put it to my ear, and I could hear sizzling.

0DCC4006-BB52-417D-90C1-017EFA7D87C6.jpeg