Crocodilian skull ID

Firs

This skull was found in a local southwestern USA rock shop; the owner of the shop knew nothing, and the skull was on consignment. I attempted to contact the original seller to find more details (such as where they got it), but no one returned my calls.

Length of skull: 53 cm

Width of skull at maximum: 17 cm (back of skull)

Width of skull at minimum: 4 cm (across narrow part of snout)

Height of skull at maximum: 14 cm

The two large fenestrae above the orbital fenestrae measure between 9.5 to 10 cm

Teeth measure between 1 and 2 cm each.

I suspect it's an Eosuchian, but cannot yet identify the skull to the genus.

288795939_crocodilianskull.png

View of the top of the skull, showing the large supratemporal fenestrae: they are uneven, with the left side fenestra being a bit larger than the right one.

1376503178_topofcrocodilianskull.JPG

Looks like Moroccan handiwork, and absolutely not what a crocodile from the phosphates is supposed to look like. I'd say 100% fake.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 4

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Agree, pretty bad artistry from Morocco, one of the worst around.  Nothing like a crocodile should look like.

Real one: checkout the detail, number of openings, sutures separating the different elements

Screenshot_20230208_024302_Chrome.thumb.jpg.961fb542c7ec1b8d2fd0519122687bd1.jpg

• I found this Informative 4
  • I Agree 4

The teeth might be real (and they look like mosasaur teeth instead of croc teeth) but I'd be surprised if any of that skull was real. Pretty bad fake.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 4