Peace River Visit & Side Trip

PODIGGER

Was back out at the Peace River yesterday for only my third visit this season.  Water levels and flow are reasonable at this point, although pulling up a shovel of matrix in the middle of the river still has quite a bit washed off. This time I was on the water by 7:30 am and headed up stream to a spot I have hunted often in past years.  I was curious as to what changes the hurricane might have caused.  I was pleasantly surprised! Last year water flow in this area was significantly restricted because of debris and it had turned into a stagnant pool.  It was frustrating because in prior years I had pulled mammoth and mastodon teeth, tusk pieces and many large proboscidean leg and foot bones from the water.   No finds in this spot last season.  

Yesterday was a different story.  With the water flow restored the area had cleaned out nicely.  I was able to target a prime spot from years past and after about 15 minutes of probing struck something solid about 4" to 5" below sand.  I have made the mistake previously of being too aggressive with my probe and shovel and breaking pieces while trying to retrieve them.  So, I went in with barehands, the water level was just low enough that I could reach the bottom and dig.  It took a while to scoop away enough sand to loosen the large piece.  Along the way I scooped up two additional smaller pieces.  This was exciting as I was sure these first pieces were bone from a large mammal.  The sand finally gave way and I pulled up a large, heavy bone that I am, sure is proboscidean.  And here are all three:

thumbnail-5.jpeg.5ef7a2e52a2918caed79b77af8137c5e.jpeg

thumbnail-6.jpeg.0485c864e18ffa081b1cfaa9adb871c3.jpeg

The large bone is easily 14" x 6" overall and I am thinking tibia/fibia.  Upon getting these washed off it appears the smaller two could be a pair. Of what, I don't know.  They hint toward patella for me.

That was it for my scouting the old site.  I had promised to meet a friend farther south on the river after my early hunt.  He lives farther from the river and usually arrives 30 to 45 minutes after I do.  Found him digging a new spot and he encouraged me to join him there as the gravel was thick and large.  I agreed and as I pulled my second shovel of matrix from the water I saw a near perfect 1.75" Meg sitting in the shovel.  This was turning out to be a great day.  I later pulled up a 2" Meg a bit more worn, but still a keeper!  A set of deer teeth, many more additional shark teeth and ,miscellaneous bones rounded out the day.  Here's the Megs:

thumbnail-4.jpeg.f4fc630a0722680b217b99262f7b0ea2.jpeg

I titled this report River Visit & Side Trip because today after running an errand I stopped by a land site I had pulled a good sized baleen whale vert from in Sept 2021.  I figured maybe the hurricane had worked its magic here too.  I discovered it had!  Within minutes I spotted this sticking out of the ground -

thumbnail.jpeg.7c658f4ea796d3b04dea01140c566c64.jpeg

thumbnail-1.jpeg.4ae20489d77cbf78e4a3cbc628e2539a.jpeg

I hadn't planned on this stop when I left the house so my only option to get it out was the tire iron from my car.  As I started to clear away the matrix I spotted another piece seen in the right of this photo -

thumbnail-2.jpeg.dfbb73078bdce8889826665b5b73f10c.jpeg

Here are both pieces fresh out of the ground -

thumbnail-3.jpeg.93233c718187953a42142d926b1b4c79.jpeg

Another Baleen Whale Vert 5" long x 4 1/2" in circumference.  The smaller piece is a section that came off the larger piece.  It was that missing part that helped me spot it as in the first three photos you can see the dark shaded area.  It looked like someone may have driven over it recently breaking that piece off. 

It was a good a two days.  I am so motivated I will be returning to the Peace River tomorrow!!

• Enjoyed 11

Awesome finds! I have a feeling the hurricane has worked its magic just about everywhere.

I like that the honeyholes from years past paid off.

Nice shiny serrated Meg..

You should re-attach the piece that broke off...

• I Agree 1

After preserving the main body I will reattach the small piece.  I had to do that with the last one I found there in 2021.  Its the piece on top in this photo -

thumbnail-7.jpeg.962eb278c808949dd26e0bafb2665da0.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3

Where are good spots to hunt? Me and my dad are going out in a few weeks. We have been a few times and never have luck. Not sure if we just don’t know enough or are picking wrong spots. Any tips!?? Please please 

Hi,

Finding "good spots" requires studying geological maps and publications. Research on this forum could give you some information.

Those who have "good spots" do not give them on a public and world forum, under penalty of seeing them looted in a short time... :Wink1:

Coco

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

When I first started out I took a guided tour.  This gave me a good understanding of what equipment was needed and what to look for when trying to find a productive spot.  First couple of trips on my own I found very little, but I kept at it and did research looking for possible site information.

One source was canoeoutpost.com where I found information on where, when and how to hunt fossils.  Another resource I used, and still refer to, is the Florida State Parks Service.  They have a publication you can find online called the Peace River Paddling Trail Guide.  This publication gives you a complete list of all kayak/canoe access points along the Peace River.  It provides a map of the entire river and info on available parking areas nearby.  With the map and info I went on Google Maps and using the satellite view was able to follow the river and locate spots I thought would provide good access.  Then its a matter of getting in the water, finding an area with gravel and digging & digging & digging .................

Good Luck - if you put in the time and effort you will eventually have good results.  

• I found this Informative 3

3 hours ago, PODIGGER said:

When I first started out I took a guided tour.  This gave me a good understanding of what equipment was needed and what to look for when trying to find a productive spot.  First couple of trips on my own I found very little, but I kept at it and did research looking for possible site information.

One source was canoeoutpost.com where I found information on where, when and how to hunt fossils.  Another resource I used, and still refer to, is the Florida State Parks Service.  They have a publication you can find online called the Peace River Paddling Trail Guide.  This publication gives you a complete list of all kayak/canoe access points along the Peace River.  It provides a map of the entire river and info on available parking areas nearby.  With the map and info I went on Google Maps and using the satellite view was able to follow the river and locate spots I thought would provide good access.  Then its a matter of getting in the water, finding an area with gravel and digging & digging & digging .................

Good Luck - if you put in the time and effort you will eventually have good results.  

Thank you so much for the information!!!!