Crinoids from a Trade

A.C.

Hey all,

Recently received this pair of crinoids in a trade. I have essentially zero experience with crinoids as my crinoids in my display before this consisted of just a few pieces of stem and a few inch long articulated stem.

The information I have is:

Crinoids
Edwardsville Formation

Mississippian 
Indiana

571090672_CrinoidPlate.thumb.jpg.2965e8c970066be518839bf33cd8d478.jpg
My initial thoughts after searching online are: 
Macrocrinus mundulus for the tan one, and Lanecrinus depressus for the gray one

Apologies for my lack of scientific terms here:

813483350_Macrocrinusmundulus.thumb.jpg.3b1d767e57c08ab0ddd415b06b3e3aeb.jpg
I believe this to be Macrocrinus mundulus as there is this extra stalk, the tan coloration, and the thick defined plates.

1191095691_Lanecrinusdepressus.thumb.jpg.157496c256f10f00dc9266b99d499f08.jpg 

I believe this to be Lanecrinus depressus as it has the more "knotty" appearance, the gray coloration, and the more defined segmented arms. 

Any crinoid experts able to weigh in here? 

Does color help in IDing crinoids or is it more shape of plates,  arms,  and overall body plan that gives us the IDs? 

• Enjoyed 3

2 hours ago, A.C. said:

I believe this to be Macrocrinus mundulus as there is this extra stalk, the tan coloration, and the thick defined plates.

I am not an expert at all, but I do own the book "Collectors Guide to Crawfordsville Crinoids by W.W. Morgan.  Figure 74 in that book show a crinoid that looks just like yours described as Macrocrinus mundulus and the prominent anal tube is characteristic of this species.  I think you nailed it.

The book shows a Decadocrinus depressus which looks pretty similar to the other one, but I am not certain of that one.

Someone like @crinus could do much better than I.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1