[Lyme Regis, UK] What's this and how to prep? UPDATED: reverse side of specimen

Omono

Hi all! 

I've just found this curious stone on the Lyme Regis beach, during a low tide, between some other rocks. I was trying to crack it open but I had to stop as it looked to be containing something more delicate.

I'm sorry for the poor quality of the photos. It has a thin layer of grey stone on the top part, and underneath it there is a golden patina that reflects the light mixed with a brownish sort of varnish (similar to when fossilised bones are prepped, that sort of texture). It has a circle of a different colour on one of the shorter side that reminds me of a sectioned bone or similar.

Now, do you think is worth to prep this stone? Is it even a fossilised something? If so, how would you prep this?

Many thanks, I know this is a tricky one... at least for me.

Cheers.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Hi all, hope you are well!

I made a previous post (here) about the same rock I found during a low tide on Lyme Regis beach because I was intrigued by the many layers of different materials, almost like a lasagna (sorry, it's dinner time here).
But then I realised that the other side of the rock is as interesting as the other one. I know that you can see in rocks shapes that you really want to see even if they are not what you think they are. But this case it's worth a try. I'm not a complete beginner nor an expert, and as a graphic designer, I made a quick editing that will explain what I want to say. To me, and possibly I'm very wrong, it could be a dinosaur footprint on a wet sandy/muddy landscape, and in some pictures you can almost see the pressure of the soil, deformed underneath the weight of the foot. 

What you all think of this?

Thank you.

Edited by Omono

9 minutes ago, Kane said:

Topics merged (only one topic is necessary for the same specimen ;)). 

Thank you. Is it possible to have the title as the second post? As I need it to ID first :) 

• Kane changed the title to [Lyme Regis, UK] What's this and how to prep? UPDATED: reverse side of specimen

I'm afraid that the photos when enlarged are somewhat too grainy for my eyes to be able to see the fine details, but it looks to me like mineral veins, probably calcite, between marly shale layers. That "circle" may be a partial belemnite, but your idea with the dinosaur footprint is just wishful thinking in my opinion.

• Enjoyed 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/