Synthetic Amber with Inclusions

CPBarbon

Hi, I am on the hunt for fake or synthetic amber with inclusions, and only fake or synthetic.

The symposium that my society is hosting is having a silent auction and I would love to find someone to approach to make a donation request for a piece of fake amber with an inclusion. I have tried Google but all the results are for how to avoid fake amber, which is the opposite of what I am trying to do.

Online in plenty of marketplaces there are faux amber. Lots of either Jurassic Park props or some child friendly bigger bugs encased in resin/plastic.

I think it goes without saying to make sure that anyone considering your fake amber needs to be 110% aware that it is indeed fake.

12 hours ago, A.C. said:

Online in plenty of marketplaces there are faux amber. Lots of either Jurassic Park props or some child friendly bigger bugs encased in resin/plastic.

I think it goes without saying to make sure that anyone considering your fake amber needs to be 110% aware that it is indeed fake.

Thank you, I will try to find some marketplaces.

And yeah, I do not think I need to worry about anyone thinking the amber is real.

Up here in Canada in the various paleontology societies across the country it is frowned upon, and in many cases against society rules, to buy or sell fossils of any kind. Additionally on the website where we are listing the items for the auction we are clearly marking the replicas and casts as being replicas and casts.

I would need to be the one who would need to be 110% sure it was fake... I would land myself in substantially hot water if I secured any real amber with inclusions for the auction, even by accident.

• I found this Informative 1

I personally do not have a problem with a society or anyone for that matter using replica fossils - as long as clearly marked replica.

They provide access to fossils otherwise too expensive, scientifically important, rare, or fragile to be in the hands of someone who appreciates them for their study/display appeal.

Again just typing in on one of the larger online retailers “amber specimen” 99/100 are going to be faux. Big and modern dragonflies, scorpions, beetles all clearly marked “artificial amber” popped up when I just searched.

• I Agree 1

11 hours ago, A.C. said:

I personally do not have a problem with a society or anyone for that matter using replica fossils - as long as clearly marked replica.

Yeah, we are marking everything on our site as to what it is, in regards to the items being casts and replicas.

I'm hesitant to secure anything that is not explicitly listed as being fake for the auction because if I make a mistake and secure something real for a donation, I will be in hot water.

Plus we are listing the donors and websites of where we get our donated items as to give the donors credit, and we can't list anything that may be the real deal. I need to be 110% sure that what we are getting is fake.

Pretty much anything with a modern lizard, frog, tarantula, or other modern insect will be fake amber.

I found one easily doing a google search for Lizard in Amber under shopping.  ;)

Other options can be PM'd to the OP.

Topic now locked.

@CPBarbon - without more information, it is difficult to ascertain what someone's plans/motivations are.

A fully explanatory post at the outset would have avoided any misinterpretations.  Something to keep in mind going forward.

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• Fossildude19 locked this topic