Largemouth Bass

From the Potomac River in the Northern Neck area. This is my first complete terrestrial mammal tooth, so I'm curious! It is around 2.5 cm long.

41A06EDF-9D45-4181-AF67-86D99FC0A5E4.jpeg

75AC6D55-92BD-4C24-99E4-269DDBEA7C2E.jpeg

B7740EE0-62BE-4091-BE2D-F934B9CC7847.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

No crenulations in the enamel and a size of 2.5cm suggest that this is a cow molar.

Wouldn't the length - which is what I assume the 2.5cm is referring to here - not really matter all that much as a more senile animal has a much shorter crown height? I found a partial bison tooth this past weekend that is all of 1cm tall.

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

Just now, Harry Pristis said:

We have different assumptions, Daniel.

Ah - so not the height of the tooth. Well, nevermind me then!

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

3 hours ago, Adam86cucv said:

@MarcoSr maybe able to help with Potomac finds.

There are a lot of recent cow, horse, pig etc. teeth in the Potomac River from the farms that were once all along the river.  I have red, black, blue etc. teeth that I believe are all recent.  The teeth can color fairly quickly in the Potomac River sediments.  There are lots of bog iron Pleistocene land mammal tracks in the Northern Neck area but I haven't really found associated Pleistocene bones or teeth from those deposits.  My sons and I have found a number of different land mammal teeth and tusk pieces in the Miocene formations along the Potomac River but they are pretty rare.  I would trust Harry's cow ID.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 3

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png