Peace River Tributaries Part II - Hemi Heaven Continued

DirtyHippie

I planned to return for another week and stay at Brownsville. Came home a day early and had another amazing trip.

Met up with Ron & David. The first photo is our combined haul for the day.

Ron was wise to slowly work the tree all day. It was nice to see him find a nice Meg on one of the last sifts.

Also very wise of David to have classic rock going to scare the critters.

Thanks for helping me explore and showing me the improved sand flea rakes you have.

That was one mighty big Cottonmouth we all saw when we were exhausted on the walk back. Phew.

Can't believe it was frozen there.

David was kind enough to take me to his spot the next day.

I was really tired and bumbling around all day, somehow I reached down and found a Meg. Pictured front and back in hand. 9 & 10.

David also found a Meg in the same spot and gave me a really nice tortoise spur.

Had to call it an early day as I was exhausted, thanks again David for putting me on this one..

Will be adding photos of the combined haul from this site...

An amazing amount of Snaggles at this location..

Afterwards are the C. megalodon/chubutensis excluding the one found elsewhere..

Appears that most of these species, especially the larger ones are in poor condition from being violently ripped from the formation by the CAT 5 hurricane. lots of small pieces of decent sized Megs.

Unfortunate the big one was broken, note the staining from the top muddy layer. And cool to see the inside is still as white as the formation.

Evidently, is was in fact taken from the formation quite recently by the hurricane.

May the gods smile on me and let me find the other half, if not its still an interesting specimen.

Afterwards a pile of broken smaller shark teeth.... mostly lemon shark..

Are these hammerheads or sharpnose? They seem much more abundant in the fossil record here than in other similar sites in Florida.

Afterwards the Galeocerdo.. first and most commonly on top G. cuvier or aduncus?

G. contortus in the middle..

G. mayumbensis on the bottom? Not sure about the ID on all of them.. it seems like they are much more abundant here than other similar sites.

Maybe a patho tiger pictured?

Tons of broken tigers as well.... including many mayumbensis..

• Enjoyed 5

Starting with the Carcharias(sp?) species. Very small amount of them here, and the average size is much smaller. Perhaps a limited amount of species here. Not sure I've senn a dusky shark here, or requim. What are your thoughts on this?

First sort on the small stuff. Any ideas on species present or how to begin to seperate them by species? Starts to get tough here..

An absolutely ridiculous amount of Neagprion breviostis. Average size is larger than other sites in Florida.

Finally bone frags I don't really want unless I'm missing something you guys see.

IMG_0350.JPG

IMG_0352.JPG

IMG_0356.JPG

IMG_0357.JPG

IMG_0358.JPG

IMG_0359.JPG

IMG_0361.JPG

IMG_0362.JPG

IMG_0363.JPG

IMG_0371.JPG

IMG_0372.JPG

IMG_0373.JPG

• Enjoyed 6

Oh wow, seeing that one Meg that came out of the spot I showed you is green is incredible!

also didn’t realize the sheer volume of teeth you ended up with… oh my god, that’s crazy! Thanks again for showing us the spot and letting us hunt with you!

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

Here are some Horse teeth, all Equus I believe.

A really nice tortoise spur, thanks to Daniel..

Next we have a rear Equus tooth followed by the same tooth position in the mandible..

Both were given to me by Jack or Shellseeker when we went out. Thanks again sir...

Followed by two from the site, one with a blue tint..

3 more from the same site...

Marine mammal verts here.. dunoung or whale perhaps...

And a couple partial shark vetebrates...

I only kept the nicer Stingray mouthplates, many more in the fossil record.

I'm told we have Sea Urchin fossils in the next photos, as well as agatized coral and shell.

IMG_0375.JPG

IMG_0377.JPG

IMG_0378.JPG

IMG_0380.JPG

IMG_0382.JPG

IMG_0384.JPG

IMG_0385.JPG

IMG_0386.JPG

IMG_0387.JPG

IMG_0388.JPG

IMG_0389.JPG

IMG_0392.JPG

IMG_0393.JPG

IMG_0394.JPG

IMG_0395.JPG

IMG_0396.JPG

• Enjoyed 5

The obvious ones in this series I'm confident of..

Picture 5- Do we have bird and a catfish barb?

I think a found a few of the teeth from the modern gator that doesn't mind my radio..

What's in the picture before and both after the gator teeth?

IMG_0398.JPG

IMG_0399.JPG

IMG_0400.JPG

IMG_0401.JPG

IMG_0402.JPG

IMG_0403.JPG

IMG_0404.JPG

IMG_0405.JPG

IMG_0406.JPG

IMG_0407.JPG

IMG_0408.JPG

IMG_0409.JPG

IMG_0410.JPG

IMG_0411.JPG

IMG_0413.JPG

IMG_0414.JPG

IMG_0415.JPG

• Enjoyed 5

Any ideas on the larger bone? Turtle or gator perhaps?

Only a pair of Makos and a one other frag. Super uncommon here, One would think with the sorting size of this gravelbed, there would be lots of smaller Makos present...

Also group of fossils that I believe show the recent erosion in this site, as they still have the fragile matrix attached, also note the staining on the bone.

Do I even want anything form the table of turtle shell? Most seems modern, I may keep the two pictured and well fossilized pieces...

Tons of micro matrix and finally the Threshers and some oddballs... the most I've ever found from one site...

IMG_0418.JPG

IMG_0419.JPG

IMG_0422.JPG

IMG_0423.JPG

IMG_0424.JPG

IMG_0425.JPG

IMG_0426.JPG

IMG_0427.JPG

IMG_0428.JPG

IMG_0429.JPG

IMG_0430.JPG

IMG_0431.JPG

IMG_0432.JPG

IMG_0434.JPG

IMG_0435.JPG

IMG_0436.JPG

IMG_0437.JPG

IMG_0438.JPG

IMG_0439.JPG

• Enjoyed 6

Also hunted with Shellseeker and Jeff and his wife on Sunday. Very impressed with Shellseeker and his fossil finding abilities..

I was hoping he'd find his Rhino tooth, but was glad he saw me find the big Meg frag..

I had a great time and was grateful for the opportunity...

• Thank You 1

Absolutely beautiful finds! I love that colors that you are getting, especially the light blues. I can't wait to get out there with you sometime and find some teeth!

Thanks again for a fun day ! Had a blast on the water and then many laughs around the campfire. Good times ! Awesome finds you have there - nice dolphin teeth and wow so many other things.

56 minutes ago, DirtyHippie said:

Only a pair of Makos and a one other frag. Super uncommon here, One would think with the sorting size of this gravelbed, there would be lots of smaller Makos present...

Also group of fossils that I believe show the recent erosion in this site, as they still have the fragile matrix attached, also note the staining on the bone.

Do I even want anything form the table of turtle shell? Most seems modern, I may keep the two pictured and well fossilized pieces...

Tons of micro matrix and finally the Threshers and some oddballs... the most I've ever found from one site...

IMG_0418.JPG

IMG_0419.JPG

IMG_0422.JPG

IMG_0423.JPG

IMG_0424.JPG

IMG_0425.JPG

IMG_0426.JPG

IMG_0427.JPG

IMG_0428.JPG

IMG_0429.JPG

IMG_0430.JPG

IMG_0431.JPG

IMG_0432.JPG

IMG_0434.JPG

IMG_0435.JPG

IMG_0436.JPG

IMG_0437.JPG

IMG_0438.JPG

IMG_0439.JPG

I ended up finding a couple oddballs too - I’ll get around to posting em tomorrow, but symphyseal tiger (Which I see you have as well), symphyseal lemon (same thing), etc. also that is… so many dolphin teeth!

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

Amazing finds Brian. Thank you for taking Beth and I out there with you, we had a wonderful time. Beautiful colors like those don’t come from every creek. Thank you for sharing your special spot with us :D

Edited by jcbshark
  • Enjoyed 1

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Wow, that is an insane amount of fossils!

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

38 minutes ago, Fin Lover said:

Wow, that is an insane amount of fossils!

It's like they found the shark tooth fairy's warehouse. :default_rofl:

• I Agree 2

Nice haul. I love all the little oddballs. :thumbsu:

Leave some for me. I paddled the Chassahowitzka yesterday and the Peace is next.

• Enjoyed 1

That is a crazy amount of fossils!!! You could amass a GIANT collection of shark teeth in just a few years! Those teeth that are still in the matrix are pretty neat. 

I would love to fossil hunt on the Peace. Maybe some day... ;)

Thanks for sharing! 

Cheers and Shalom,

-Micah

On 2/15/2023 at 8:39 PM, DirtyHippie said:

Also hunted with Shellseeker and Jeff and his wife on Sunday. Very impressed with Shellseeker and his fossil finding abilities..

I was hoping he'd find his Rhino tooth, but was glad he saw me find the big Meg frag..

I had a great time and was grateful for the opportunity...

Sometimes, good times and a fantastic memory comes along when you least expect it. I saw some of myself in you, and we hit it off well. If I let you talk to my hunting companions, you could believe that never have I been so pleased to see a hunting friend find 6 or 7 Megs right next to me, while I found one small broken one. Just wanted a little of the joy you have given to others to bounce back to you.

I will work at a couple of things.. We will need separate FossilID threads for each find we want to focus on..

I'll keep on the 2 larger complete bones until we get an ID.

My current interest is marine mammals... You have a number of those that I have not found or seen previously..  Like this one !!!IMG_0405BrianDolphin1.jpg.6e831eb6da4b9518922455d2764dca8b.jpg

As you get time,  photos from alternate side(s) and measurements..   I did find this, which might be from the same Dolphin...  What do you think ?

1407146318_DolphinTooth.JPG.9d0b8cd8947fccedec6f6f9fdc380a72.JPG

I will open a thread with this an a couple of more you have found.  I will open a Dolphin Fossil ID thread, and If we are fortunate, this dolphin swam in Virginia, North Carolina, Maryland and TFF members who hunted those states will recognize your tooth...

Thanks for the Memory, Brian

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

On 2/15/2023 at 8:25 PM, DirtyHippie said:

Who can be so lucky?  I was trying to identify my own finds,  and came across this...

IMG_0418.JPG

What do you think ? Do we have a match ? When is the last time we saw Seal in Bone Valley... It is kind of hot with that fur oat on...  @Boesse

14181576448_2b483863f1_b.jpg.25ba4c01142045cba4a5ac33bdfb096d.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

The unidentified bone is a femur from a large rodent. I'd compare with beaver, porcupine, etc.

7 hours ago, Boesse said:

The unidentified bone is a femur from a large rodent. I'd compare with beaver, porcupine, etc.

@DirtyHippie  The bone is the femur of Castoroides,  a giant beaver. It matches in shape and form but not size of Giant Beaver femurs found on the Internet. It would be good to add measurements of your find, Castoroides dilophidus.

All Florida samples of Castoroides are now regarded as belonging to a single
species that is not Castoroides ohioensis. The rule of nomenclatural priority requires raising Castoroides ohioensis dilophidus Martin, 1969 to the rank of species, Castoroides dilophidus, and regarding it as the senior synonym of Castoroides leiseyorum Morgan and White, 1995. The dental character which formed
the basis for the subspecies name dilophidus is only known to occur in some late Pleistocene teeth from peninsular Florida and coastal Georgia, and is not present in all populations of the species C. dilophidus.

and some additional photos,  since an Identification of this fossil was difficult to track down ...  Jack

IMG_0273ce.jpg.0546ca58b2dcb0ef32fd8993e885354b.jpg