Would appreciate help identifying a couple of teeth

jcdOK

These were all found in southeastern Oklahoma. I find these occasionally while working in rivers. These were found in a sand bed river. I just want to be able to put a face to these teeth. I have several other shark teeth that I have found in the same area,  but will hold off on posting for now. Thanks a lot!

Edited by jcdOK
pictures didnt upload

Well I'm not sure about the shark tooth, but the first one is mammalian. Specifically carnivore - looks to be either canid or felid, due to the talonid on the front of the tooth, but beyond that I can't ID it. (May also be ursid or amphicyonid - but less likely on those. It's definitely land mammal carnivore though.) @Harry Pristis Might be able to provide further ID on it. Also, some pics of the chewing surface will also help!

• I Agree 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

Thanks for the reply! That is exactly the type of information I was looking for. The chewing surface appears to have been broken off at some point which was why I didn't include that photo view. Do you have any recommendations on how I make this post more visible to other folks? I am still really curious on the shark tooth as I have not been able to find anything similar to this one being found in Oklahoma. Newbie here to the site and still trying to figure things out. Thanks again!

14 hours ago, jcdOK said:

The chewing surface appears to have been broken off at some point which was why I didn't include that photo view.

The general outline may still be helpful.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

15 hours ago, jcdOK said:

Thanks for the reply! That is exactly the type of information I was looking for. The chewing surface appears to have been broken off at some point which was why I didn't include that photo view. Do you have any recommendations on how I make this post more visible to other folks? I am still really curious on the shark tooth as I have not been able to find anything similar to this one being found in Oklahoma. Newbie here to the site and still trying to figure things out. Thanks again!

Additional photos of the mammal tooth will get more visibility on the topic.  

Using a geologic map to figure out the formation where the shark tooth was found will help with identification.  ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

5 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Additional photos of the mammal tooth will get more visibility on the topic.  

Using a geologic map to figure out the formation where the shark tooth was found will help with identification.  ;)

Sure thing. Here are some additional angles of the mammal tooth. The geology in the immediate river channels consists of mainly alluvium and buffered by terrace deposits.

IMG_3062.jpg

IMG_3063.jpg

IMG_3064.jpg

IMG_3065.jpg

IMG_3066.jpg

IMG_3060.jpg

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

We need more help...  I have a tooth somewhat similar to yours.. The predator has chewed down the enamel on your tooth,  making it harder to identify.

DireWolf_p4_mergeText.thumb.jpg.15489304ae8ee17858fff650dbe69eb9.jpg

NYTimes_DireWolfskullz.thumb.jpg.3651e1e3b3ccfb446845a27065bd5e3a.jpg

The distance from the bottom of the root to the top of the enamel on my tooth is 30 mm or about 1.2 inches.  What is that distance on your tooth?

On my tooth the distance from the left end of the enamel to the right end of the enamel is 20 mm. or about .8 inches. Once again, what is your equivalent measurement.

These measurements are very important for identification...

I think that your tooth is a premolar,  left lower or upper right...

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I've attached a couple additional photos in case it helps. The distance from the bottom of the root to the top of the enamel (albeit the tip is clearly worn or was broken off at some point) is roughly 30 mm. The distance from the left end of the enamel to the right end of the enamel is also about 20 mm. I've also attached some measurement photos of the shark tooth in question. And to be a bit more specific, the river channel is veneered with Holocene alluvium, with Pleistocene fluvial terraces. Thanks again for the help all!

IMG_5687.jpg

IMG_3719.jpg

IMG_3720.jpg

IMG_3722.jpg

The shark tooth is worn but looks like Cretodus to me (or could possibly be Cretalamna), which suggests there's a Cretaceous layer somewhere in that river.

54 minutes ago, bthemoose said:

The shark tooth is worn but looks like Cretodus to me (or could possibly be Cretalamna), which suggests there's a Cretaceous layer somewhere in that river.

Awesome! Thanks for the reply. After your point I took another look at the ecoregion map, and I did notice that there are sections within the basin and fairly close to where I found the shark tooth that are "Cretaceous Dissected Uplands".  So thank you for mentioning that. The river is a sandbed stream which likely explains much of the wear on these teeth.