Need help with peace river IDs

Coela Cant

Some fossils found at the peace river last weekend.

I am wondering if 1 is a giant tortoise spur and if 2 is part of a giant tortoise shell.

in the second picture my best guesses are: 3. vertebrae, 4. crocodilians tooth, 5. stingray part?, 6.  maybe a fish scale, 7. originally just thought was a weird bone fragment but maybe a tooth

A28C2EFC-4AF3-4C57-89CF-752764CC7BC3.jpeg

60C70139-B676-435B-AE8B-3152E20CD69E.jpeg

A1AA96B7-4DB4-4F4B-A346-CDA12FC1AB1C.jpeg

C243ABBE-79C7-4279-930B-C9F619E984F2.jpeg

1) Looks to be a barnacle cast or a piece of bone, not a tortoise spur
2) Yep, tortoise shell.
3) Bone chunk
4) Gonna need better pics of this one... Looks like a gar fish scale to me.
5) Pics of the reverse side would also be helpful here. Might be turtle shell.
6) More pics again, might be fish scale, might be fish tooth.
7) Dugong rib bone.

For 4-6, take pics of each side, individually, in better lighting. That'll help get IDs!

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

I second the request for better photos outside in good light. ;) Only way to hazard a guess at phosphate blackened fossil bits is to be able to see the details better in the few images we're given to try to make a useful ID.

#1 was a mystery to me for years till I had it identified (here on the forum) after which it is so distinct that it is quite easy to identify. It is the internal cast of an acorn barnacle. Something nobody would ever guess but once you know they are dead simple to identify. :)

Have a read through these posts:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/44045-odd-conical-fossils-teeth/

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/112189-peace-river-oddity/

Cheers.

-Ken

On 2/16/2023 at 6:24 AM, Meganeura said:

1) Looks to be a barnacle cast or a piece of bone, not a tortoise spur
2) Yep, tortoise shell.
3) Bone chunk
4) Gonna need better pics of this one... Looks like a gar fish scale to me.
5) Pics of the reverse side would also be helpful here. Might be turtle shell.
6) More pics again, might be fish scale, might be fish tooth.
7) Dugong rib bone.

For 4-6, take pics of each side, individually, in better lighting. That'll help get IDs!

22 hours ago, digit said:

I second the request for better photos outside in good light. ;) Only way to hazard a guess at phosphate blackened fossil bits is to be able to see the details better in the few images we're given to try to make a useful ID.

#1 was a mystery to me for years till I had it identified (here on the forum) after which it is so distinct that it is quite easy to identify. It is the internal cast of an acorn barnacle. Something nobody would ever guess but once you know they are dead simple to identify. :)

Have a read through these posts:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/44045-odd-conical-fossils-teeth/

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/112189-peace-river-oddity/

Cheers.

-Ken

Wow! Thank you guys for all the help, glad I got some correct! I am new to this platform so please excuse me if this is not the proper response format, I will admit I am a bit confused how to reply back to you guys. Here are some photos that I hope are a little bit better, I apologize for the shadows. Also note that I changed the numbers. Obviously yes 1 is just some type of bone chunk but it is so flat on one side and curved on the other. I can’t help but think maybe this chunk is identifiable to someone better than me, so I included it again! I included some close ups of 2 and 3 as requested. I can’t think of 3 as anything else besides a fish scale as one of you agreed. I just can’t seem to find any images of a gar scale that matches this one, with the single ridge on the one side. It looks exactly the same front and back. I also included number 4 again. Of course the instant assumption is that it is a dugong rib, but it just has such a shiny outer layer and has striations like nothing I’ve ever seen on a dugong rib. It also only has a single row of spongy bone protruding from only one side in a perfect line, almost like how cream might come out of the bottom of a Swiss roll (I can think of no other comparison lol). Again, if somebody smarter than me is 100% certain it is still a dugong I will willingly accept that, it just looks so different from the ones I’ve found and seen online!

060E5AAE-3859-470E-9821-A7E89D0D7698.jpeg

AC7222E5-EDCF-49D9-A695-46869D476F6C.jpeg

9E166BA8-92FE-43ED-95EE-F38F5D67BBCB.jpeg

A6ADB6D6-BAF2-4195-81D8-13705E4BE706.jpeg

image.jpg

43 minutes ago, Coela Cant said:

Obviously yes 1 is just some type of bone chunk but it is so flat on one side and curved on the other. I can’t help but think maybe this chunk is identifiable to someone better than me, so I included it again!

Tricky when you renumber the specimens in subsequent images--can lead to confusion.

Your most recent #1 looks from the edge a bit like a peripheral carapace bone from a snapping turtle but it is difficult to say. Brighter images when dealing with blackened fossils are always helpful. Consider taking the photos outdoors in the sunlight instead of inside under a lamp. Also if you can find a non-white background that will help to keep from underexposing the fossils. Assuming you'll have a number of fossils over time to have identified it would probably be worth your time/effort to go pick up some gray construction paper at one of the craft shops. This provides a neutral tone background that is neither too light nor dark and makes an excellent background material for fossil photography.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I Agree 1