Help with Hell Creek Bone

DinoFossilsUK

Hoping someone can help me ID this bone from the Hell Creek Formation.  When I received it a while back it was suggested to me that it could be part of a Triceratops beak, but I'm struggling to see it.  Judging by the texture it does look like a piece of Triceratops skull though, so I was hoping someone familiar with trike skulls might be able to help me out. :fingerscrossed:

IMG_8873.jpg

IMG_8874.jpg

IMG_8875.jpg

IMG_8872.jpg

IMG_8871.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

It COULD be part of the beak, but it is certainly ceratopsian skull material.  Triceratops or Torosaurus... the world may never know.  

Here is an oblique view of one we have in the Tate Geological Museum (not the art museum in London).  The piece under my thumb is the upper extent of the rostral bone.  Yours may be from closer to the actual beak on this same bone.  The other part above my fingers is the fused premaxillae.  I don't think your bone is this.    The one thing that prevents me from calling this a rostral bone for sure is what seems to be the edge of the one in your third photo looks nothing like the on in my hand.  The one

1437375052_IMG_91801.thumb.JPG.834e99f116d3785e142927014026a46d.JPG

I justl looked at another complete beak that we have and I don't think yours is a piece of beak.  (That piece is too heavy to move and phtotograph easily).   

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

6 minutes ago, jpc said:

It COULD be part of the beak, but it is certainly ceratopsian skull material.  Triceratops or Torosaurus... the world may never know.  

Here is an oblique view of one we have in the Tate Geological Museum (not the art museum in London).  The piece under my thumb is the upper extent of the rostral bone.  Yours may be from closer to the actual beak on this same bone.  The other part above my fingers is the fused premaxillae.  I don't think your bone is this.    The one thing that prevents me from calling this a rostral bone for sure is what seems to be the edge of the one in your third photo looks nothing like the on in my hand.  The one

1437375052_IMG_91801.thumb.JPG.834e99f116d3785e142927014026a46d.JPG

I justl looked at another complete beak that we have and I don't think yours is a piece of beak.  (That piece is too heavy to move and phtotograph easily).   

Thanks jpc! The texture looks so similar to yours, but after trawling through all the photos I could find of Trike beaks online, I just can't figure out the shape.  You're right, it's probably not beak, would love to figure out what part of the skull it is though as the shape is quite odd. 

I'm also not getting a beak vibe on this.  I have a the rostral section of a Triceratops and it just does not fit.  What about the end of a jugal.  

il_794xN.1702108304_k5ne.jpg.56c8e08a382db768dc077e4ed33ad808.jpg

My gut feeling is more towards the posterior end of the nasal, kinda between 'nas' and 'lf' in the drawing above.  But this one may just be too fragmentary to ID with any certainty. 

• I found this Informative 1

I've compared it against lots of images of skulls this morning and you're right, it's probably too fragmentary to ID.  I did think end of the jugal, but the texture seems to be wrong, and I can't see where it would fit in on the nasal.  But thanks all for your help!