Anything special?

Amarykah

Is there anything special about either of these two teeth? They seem different - thought they might have deformities. Peace river, FL. Mako and ?? Thanks!

C1DEC0A9-FCE7-4B37-8E06-5B481D6B4FD1.jpeg

2C42ECAD-A758-45E7-B3F6-416DCD5B9064.jpeg

47FE5C56-2B7D-4DFA-AD0F-7612C80EF52B.jpeg

60C696E6-EFF3-497C-8E6A-CFA425662AEC.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

One's a C. Hastalis lower, and the other is a tiger shark - a very posterior tooth.

• Thank You 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

Yup. The tiger shark tooth is an older Miocene species called Physogaleus contortus. Image searches for this name will turn up lots more information on this species.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 3

That C. hastalis lower is a beauty!

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

5 hours ago, Amarykah said:

Is there anything special about either of these two teeth? They seem different - thought they might have deformities. Peace river, FL. Mako and ?? Thanks!

I have hunted the Peace River since 2008.  I do not find many Makos  , ratio of 20 upper teeth to each lower. Lower Mako teeth are rare. The Tiger seems a little pathological in the root formation.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

5 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

I have hunted the Peace River since 2008.  I do not find many Makos  , ratio of 20 upper teeth to each lower. Lower Mako teeth are rare. The Tiger seems a little pathological in the root formation.

I’m going to have to reevaluate what I have vs. what I think I have :) I appreciate all your shared knowledge!