Dinosaur tooth? Not sure i need help

chabbysdad

Hi I found this rock I thought could be a tooth its very heavy and about 9cm long any help would be much appreciated thanks

16767165191023194851620601383778.jpg

16767164341505624876015489423934.jpg

1676716534354647272232732701375.jpg

16767165975171616943802422596765.jpg

Yeah mite not be a tooth but it is to heavy to be quartz it is definitely petrified something I thought tooth because it kinda looks like it 

16767544975346693961817756973868.jpg

Well what ever it is its petrified and looks like opal on the top if it's not a fossil what could it be? im a prospector and have found lots of opal ,gold and gems and it is as heavy as petrified wood it's not quartz it's way to heavy. Any ideas what it could be?

32 minutes ago, chabbysdad said:

Well what ever it is its petrified and looks like opal on the top if it's not a fossil what could it be? im a prospector and have found lots of opal ,gold and gems and it is as heavy as petrified wood it's not quartz it's way to heavy. Any ideas what it could be?

Most petrified wood is made up of quartz or similar silica-based materials, so I’m not sure I understand what you mean.

Well I have been fossicking for gold for months and have been around lots and lots of different quartz and it doesn't look or feel like quartz it's very very heavy there are little holes all over it and is hollow and has little rings or layers inside it doesn't look like any quartz I've seen that's why I thought it wasn't quartz and I have found lots of petrified wood and it looks or feels nothing like it  but I'm far from an expert and was just wondering what it is thanks for your comments 

Hi,

There are other minerals that have a higher density than quartz, such as barite, but I don’t recognize it there.

Coco

• I Agree 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Hello chabbysdad and welcome to the forum!

As others have mentioned, most fossils are of the same density (=weight per volume) as the surrounding rocks. Fossil bone or wood is usually heavier than fresh bone or wood, but not heavier than most rocks. Thats why weight is often mentioned when its not clear if something is a fossil.

To me your find looks very much like an agate or chert or flint nodule, which is chemically the same as quartz, and even the same as precious opal, just with a different structure. Density is also about the same. The flint nodules found in my corner of the world often form around fossils like sponges or sometimes sea urchins, also there are many kinds of layered mineral nodules, so that could explain your layers or rings.

You say it feels heavier than quartz, if you want to know for sure, here is what to do:

put your find in a measuring cup half full with water to find out its volume (measured volume after putting in the stone minus volume before), divide the weight of the stone by the volume. (for example 50g /20 cm³ =2,5 g/cm³).

Quartz ,agate, opal, flint (and many other minerals) have densities between 2.5 and 3 g/cm³.

I´ll bet thats what you will find. If its really much denser, its another mineral and an interesting one maybe, but that says nothing about it being a fossil.

Best Regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Perhaps that 1/8 difference is within the margin of error for the "Quartz, agate, opal, and flint (And many other minerals..."? I'm not sure what that .125 means, composition wise, but it might be impressive that you can feel that kind of difference in weight. I'm not being facetious here. Cheers.