St Mary’s river small horse tooth

Done Drillin

Picked up this small horse tooth on the bank of the St Mary’s River today and am having a tough time deciding on who the previous owner was - horse tooth enthusiasists what are your thoughts - the crown measurements are 15mm x 7mm

DC3384F4-8863-45B4-8C54-C8DC9FD692AC.jpeg

EE14088E-FD38-4D59-B68F-7697846EDC58.jpeg

9BABA3DD-ABF0-4AFB-BF47-7F18B4327F8A.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3

It is a lower Tridactyl horse tooth.. Nice find!!!!  It is harder to figure an ID for a lower..  Might need @fossillarry.  I have dinner coming up.  I will attempt to match after dinner.

• I found this Informative 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Has the... ectoflexid? I don't remember the name - but the little pattern on the side - which is indicative of Nannippus westoni I believe?

Edited by Meganeura

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

@Done Drillin

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/110466-horse-tooth/

I believe that you have one of the left lower teeth of a species of the Genus Nannippus... Take a look at the photo below.  Does your tooth have a protostylid?

Daniel,  the word you seek is protostylid.  N.aztecus does not have one and the rest of the small Nannippus species do. The red circle shows in N. westoni on the left but not N. aztecus on the right...ProtostylidCircled.JPG.906189dfcb2f4e417949e52d3598063f.JPG

Nannippus_Aztecus_Lowerteeth2.jpg.bbaed69fb33ed578df5191aeb2a472de.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

7 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

@Done Drillin

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/110466-horse-tooth/

I believe that you have one of the left lower teeth of a species of the Genus Nannippus... Take a look at the photo below.  Does your tooth have a protostylid?

Daniel,  the word you seek is protostylid.  N.aztecus does not have one and the rest of the small Nannippus species do. The red circle shows in N. westoni on the left but not N. aztecus on the right...ProtostylidCircled.JPG.906189dfcb2f4e417949e52d3598063f.JPG

Nannippus_Aztecus_Lowerteeth2.jpg.bbaed69fb33ed578df5191aeb2a472de.jpg

Ah, protostylid was definitely the word I was looking for, thanks Jack!

I know N. westoni is found in St Mary’s, so… I’d say that fits.  

Cannot make out a protostylid on the tooth - thank you for the diagram that shows the difference between N. Aztecus and the other nannippus horses . Very helpful ! Love the different artists renditions of how these little guys actually looked - oh to see little striped horses running around Florida !

27 minutes ago, Done Drillin said:

Cannot make out a protostylid on the tooth - thank you for the diagram that shows the difference between N. Aztecus and the other nannippus horses . Very helpful ! Love the different artists renditions of how these little guys actually looked - oh to see little striped horses running around Florida !

You got one right here!

9BABA3DD-ABF0-4AFB-BF47-7F18B4327F8A.thumb.jpeg.527a84d18cb085db9771d75b11148496.thumb.jpeg.e23959dc058f8521c49a69d97afba5c4.jpeg

Hmmmm Hmmm - I see what you are talking about. It’s very indistinct compared to the ideal specimens @Shellseeker demonstrated but there is something there for sure - just not certain if it’s how that edge wore down or eroded  ? Time for new glasses I guess ! Good spotting

• Enjoyed 1

11 minutes ago, Done Drillin said:

After further examination with better light and magnification (:eyeroll: @Meganeura you are correct - it does have a protostylid so N. westoni is a good candidate 

I've got decent enough eyes still, I know what I saw! Also probably helps that I've spent far too long looking at various 3-toed teeth in hopes of learning them. I'm glad I was able to (possibly) ID this one successfully, seems I'm slowly learning!

@Done Drillin

Congratulations  !!! I think I could tell you the exact tooth position,  using the chart below.  Can you?

N_westoniE.jpg.cfefbf8800864615d4e2c99b41f7550e.jpg

• I Agree 1

Okay - tried to do a rubbing of the occlusal surface and that was a no go so did a free hand drawing and it more closely resembles “D”to me - “I” would be my second guess .How confident would you be to label this as N. westoni as opposed to the other Nannippus species ( eliminating N.aztecus)? I have seen the chart with the upper tooth measurements for 3 toed horses- is there such a chart for lower teeth ?

53 minutes ago, Done Drillin said:

Okay - tried to do a rubbing of the occlusal surface and that was a no go so did a free hand drawing and it more closely resembles “D”to me - “I” would be my second guess .How confident would you be to label this as N. westoni as opposed to the other Nannippus species ( eliminating N.aztecus)? I have seen the chart with the upper tooth measurements for 3 toed horses- is there such a chart for lower teeth ?

I don’t believe there is, actually. Best bet though, we wait for @fossillarry to confirm!

My reason for asking is another even smaller horse tooth that I found in the same area several weeks ago that @Meganeura and I briefly discussed. The ATW is 7mm and the APL is 13mm. Thoughts on this one ?

FFB6D2CB-147F-4FC6-967D-F161DED25F64.jpeg

3D92CE47-025B-42F3-A2FE-0D25D17AE8E3.jpeg

1 hour ago, Done Drillin said:

Apology for not being clear up front.  I think it is "I",  a right lower m1/m2 (which means or) of Nannippus westoni.

Why do I think that ?

1) In this tread above, I included teeth rows for N. aztecus from Yepomera.  Row E is E, Lp2-m2,  meaning Left p2-m2.  The "eyeglasses" lean left. On F, Rp2-m3,  eyeglasses lean right.  Your tooth,  eyeglasses lean right.

"D" is an example of a Lp34,  "I" is an example of Rm12.

Here is a Research paper,  free on Researchgate,

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/254313835_Late_Miocene_Nannippus_Mammalia_Perissodactyla_from_Florida_with_a_description_of_the_smallest_Hipparionine_horse

image.thumb.png.4f2923cf1e1d6eaaba24fc107cb3b4c9.png

These are names of all the smallest horses that could have created your tooth. Aztecus has a protostylid,  leaving Westoni and Morgani (which is significantly smaller), Skinneri and Calippus,  look significantly different.. 

• I Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Done Drillin said:

My reason for asking is another even smaller horse tooth that I found in the same area several weeks ago that @Meganeura and I briefly discussed. The ATW is 7mm and the APL is 13mm. Thoughts on this one ?

FFB6D2CB-147F-4FC6-967D-F161DED25F64.jpeg

3D92CE47-025B-42F3-A2FE-0D25D17AE8E3.jpeg

I expect Larry will either affirm or correct.

It is a lower right m1 or m2 and does not have a protostylid... Makes me believe that it is N. aztecus.  NICE tooth...

• I Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

I expect Larry will either affirm or correct.

It is a lower right m1 or m2 and does not have a protostylid... Makes me believe that it is N. aztecus.  NICE tooth...

Which is what we had come to believe, if I remember our conversation correctly @Done Drillin!

Excellent paper - thank you for the link @Shellseeker ! I believe I found the same paper in my search but there was a fee associated with it. It certainly answers many questions I had. 

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1