US east coast Cretaceous vertebrates from last fall

fossil_lover_2277

A few of my favorite, smaller, non-dinosaurian Campanian (Cretaceous) finds from last fall on the east coast. Enchodus petrosus fang, Xiphactinus vetus teeth, plesiosaur teeth, mosasaur teeth, Deinosuchus rugosus teeth and osteoderms, Ischyrhiza mira rostral spines and vertebra (I think it’s a vert to I. mira anyways), Cretolamna appendiculata teeth, Archaeolamna kopingensis teeth, Serratolamna serrata tooth, Trionyx spp. carapace plate, Flemingostrea shell, Hybodont cephalic clasper and dorsal spines and teeth, Scapanorhynchus texanus teeth, and Squalicorax pristodontus and kaupi teeth.

IMG-3182.jpg

• Enjoyed 18

Also wow! Love those deinosuchus osteoderms. Squalicorax is on my list of teeth I’d like to find here in New Zealand

• Thank You 1

Very amazing finds, lovely picture. I love the deinosuchus material, the plesiosaur and mosasaur as well. I hope to add some Cretaceous vertebra fossils to my collection soon! Various east coast states?

• Enjoyed 1

4 hours ago, fossil_lover_2277 said:

Deinosuchus rugosus

Nice stuff.  Like I mentioned on FB a paper by Brochu and Cossette (2020) reviewed this genus and render D. rugosus a nomen dubium because of fragmentary material it was based on.  D. schwimmeri was erected using material previously assigned to D. rugosus.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

35 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Nice stuff.  Like I mentioned on FB a paper by Brochu and Cossette (2020) reviewed this genus and render D. rugosus a nomen dubium because of fragmentary material it was based on.  D. schwimmeri was erected using material previously assigned to D. rugosus.

Thanks, yes I did see you mentioned that, and yes I have looked at that paper. If I recall the paper only briefly mentions Deinosuchus material from some of the extreme east coast and doesn’t thoroughly address such remains. I’m not sure if it’s totally unfair to use D. rugosus still for such material. Anyways, honestly, I didn’t really think about the species name I used, I just put rugosus because I’m used to writing it, but for sure D. schwimmeri may be technically correct. 

1 hour ago, Bjohn170 said:

Very amazing finds, lovely picture. I love the deinosuchus material, the plesiosaur and mosasaur as well. I hope to add some Cretaceous vertebra fossils to my collection soon! Various east coast states?

I’d prefer not to mention any states specifically, or even how many it’s all from. My understanding is posting such information on a public site like this isn’t “prudent”. But thank you, I do hope you can get your hands on some good vertebrate material. I will tell you, Holden beach and GMR (of North Carolina) are widely known as public places you can get Cretaceous marine vertebrate material, as well as New Jersey’s two public fossil parks. I’m only posting these sites’ names because literally everyone is aware of them already.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Doctor Mud said:

Also wow! Love those deinosuchus osteoderms. Squalicorax is on my list of teeth I’d like to find here in New Zealand

Other side of the world from me. Does NZ have accessible Cretaceous deposits?

Yes we do! We have local deposits that produce shark and marine reptile material, but it’s harder to match the quality of your finds. It’s a special day if you find a Mosasaur or plesiosaur tooth. The shark teeth are abundant but it’s hard to get good ones as the rock is so hard! 

There are 2 deposits locally, with marine reptile bones in huge concretions (possible to find complete skeletons)

and a lag deposit that has individual bones and teeth. 

Edited by Doctor Mud
  • I found this Informative 2

10 hours ago, fossil_lover_2277 said:

I’d prefer not to mention any states specifically, or even how many it’s all from. My understanding is posting such information on a public site like this isn’t “prudent”. But thank you, I do hope you can get your hands on some good vertebrate material. I will tell you, Holden beach and GMR (of North Carolina) are widely known as public places you can get Cretaceous marine vertebrate material, as well as New Jersey’s two public fossil parks. I’m only posting these sites’ names because literally everyone is aware of them already.

I wasn’t asking for sites, just if they were collected from various east coast states or a single state, didn’t think that was too much prying but w/e

Edited by Bjohn170

59 minutes ago, Bjohn170 said:

I wasn’t asking for sites, just if they were collected from various east coast states or a single state, didn’t think that was too much prying but w/e

With east coast Cretaceous material, particularly stuff that is found with dinosaurs like this stuff, it really is

2 hours ago, Bjohn170 said:

Help us out with the abbreviation and punctuation.

https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/W%2FE

I seems odd to me too that someone doesn’t want to give even the state that a fossil is from unless that state is smaller than an average county in the western US.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Cretaceous exposures in East Coast states can be very limited compared to further West.

• I Agree 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

18 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Help us out with the abbreviation and punctuation.

https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/W%2FE

I seems odd to me too that someone doesn’t want to give even the state that a fossil is from unless that state is smaller than an average county in the western US.

Wasn’t even asking which state, just if it was collected from multiple states, guess still asking too much. From New Jersey to Florida you can find Cretaceous. Saying they found it from one or more isn’t gonna help anyone dial in on their spot but whatever, everyone is entitled to be as secretive as they want. I’m more open to sharing! 

• I Agree 1

18 hours ago, Bjohn170 said:

didn’t think that was too much prying but w/e

:zzzzscratchchin: :headscratch::WootSign:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

FYI just came across this very recent publication that puts more clarity to the distribution of Deinosuchus species

peerj-09-11302-g006.thumb.jpg.bdd622523d34b75861e56159cf9212ba.jpg

First remains of the enormous alligatoroid Deinosuchus from the Upper Cretaceous Menefee Formation, New Mexico,  Mohler et al. 2021

• I found this Informative 2

@Coco I believe "w/e" means - whatever. “whatever” is also used as an interjection in a sometimes dismissive way, as in “Yeah, whatever.”

3 minutes ago, automech said:

@Coco I believe "w/e" means - whatever. “whatever” is also used as an interjection in a sometimes dismissive way, as in “Yeah, whatever.”

I know acronyms can be a problem for international folks but that's a new one for me.

That's an amazing haul; always love seeing Mesozoic material from the East Coast! Those Deinosuchus teeth and osteoderms and the plesiosaur teeth are very impressive!  :envy:

Out of curiosity, since you specified that these were non-dinosaurian fossils that you have collected did you find any interesting dinosaur material? If you would be comfortable sharing, I would love to see pictures of some dinosaur material from the East Coast.

• Enjoyed 1

On 2/20/2023 at 11:51 PM, fossil_lover_2277 said:

A few of my favorite, smaller, non-dinosaurian Campanian (Cretaceous) finds from last fall on the east coast. Enchodus petrosus fang, Xiphactinus vetus teeth, plesiosaur teeth, mosasaur teeth, Deinosuchus rugosus teeth and osteoderms, Ischyrhiza mira rostral spines and vertebra (I think it’s a vert to I. mira anyways), Cretolamna appendiculata teeth, Archaeolamna kopingensis teeth, Serratolamna serrata tooth, Trionyx spp. carapace plate, Flemingostrea shell, Hybodont cephalic clasper and dorsal spines and teeth, Scapanorhynchus texanus teeth, and Squalicorax pristodontus and kaupi teeth.

IMG-3182.jpg

very interesting cretaceous material, always love to see vertebrate-fossils from outside Europe.

Deinosuchus-remains are fantastic, never found some in Germany. Hope to get one some day. I know a guy who found some scutes and possible bones from highest campanian from Westfalia, but does not like to exchange :s_cry:

Are there articulated skeletons know from your site or "only" scutes and bones?

• Enjoyed 1