Help Id'ing Creek Fossil

aaronc

Hello Gentlemen, I'm looking for a little help with an ID. I'm 48 and a Kentucky boy. This week I started browsing some creeks looking for arrowheads, it's something I have never done and just wanted to try. I ran into this rock with an organized pattern on it.....appears to be something that is fossil-ish to me. However I don't know much about fossils so you guys see what you think. Thanks for looking, -Aaron 

20230223_125847resize30.jpg

20230224_094828resize30.jpg

20230224_094855resize30.jpg

20230224_094927resize30.jpg

20230224_094938resize30.jpg

20230224_094955resize30.jpg

Edited by aaronc

Is there any chance that coal is mined, or seen in the area ? A poorly preserved Calamites pith cast in sandstone could look like this. I can't identify it as such from this alone though. 

• Thank You 1

4 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Is there any chance that coal is mined, or seen in the area ? A poorly preserved Calamites pith cast in sandstone could look like this. I can't identify it as such from this alone though. 

Well this is Kentucky so I can't say for sure that there isn't any coal around anywhere but no, the nearest mine would be over an hour away. I don't know of anyone running into any coal locally.  If it helps here is a pic of the creek I pulled it out of.  Thanks for the reply. -Aaron

20230221_104611resize30.jpg

Plant fossil seems very unlikely. It's just a guess, but it could be bedding planes that have been obscured by cleavage planes that are much more developed. Tectonic movements compressing and aligning minerals would be the cause.                     

• Thank You 1