Sediment from Lance Formation #1

svcgoat

20 minutes ago, svcgoat said:

I am pretty sure the impression like pieces are Croc but let me know if I am wrong

PXL_20230226_000430282.jpg.2f153df1f514490f9efcb4314c49ae0c.thumb.jpg.21dece12ac7a9e207b85badf795345ca.jpg

These two pieces appear to be croc. The rest are soft-shelled turtle. Your teeth look like croc teeth. As for which croc, other members will be more familiar with those found in the Lance.

Edited by Thomas.Dodson
  • I Agree 1

1 minute ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

PXL_20230226_000430282.jpg.2f153df1f514490f9efcb4314c49ae0c.thumb.jpg.21dece12ac7a9e207b85badf795345ca.jpg

These two pieces are croc. The rest are soft-shelled turtle. Your teeth look like croc teeth. As for which croc, other members will be more familiar with those found in the Lance.

Thank you I didn't realize turtle shell had impressions like that

OK... here goes.  In your first (and last) photo, the texture you see in the left red circled specimen is crocodilian osteoderm (often incorrectly called a scute, mea culpa).   Similar texture on the right red circle, also croc, but notice the two concave edges... frontal bone... top of the skull.  The three others, various pieces of various soft-shelled turtles.  Followed by a shed croc tooth, followed by a rooted croc tooth.  The next one is a ceratopsian tooth...needs a good cleaning.  Toothbrush and water ought to do it for that one.  It has one root.  Torosaurs and Triceratops  teeth have two roots.  Leptoceratops teeth have one root.  After you clean it, see if the second root is broken off or just never was there.  The last one is a fragment of a jaw... hard to say exactly whose but the very rounded and close together tooth grooves suggest either ceratopsian or hadrosaur.   

• I found this Informative 1

6 minutes ago, jpc said:

OK... here goes.  In your first (and last) photo, the texture you see in the left red circled specimen is crocodilian osteoderm (often incorrectly called a scute, mea culpa).   Similar texture on the right red circle, also croc, but notice the two concave edges... frontal bone... top of the skull.  The three others, various pieces of various soft-shelled turtles.  Followed by a shed croc tooth, followed by a rooted croc tooth.  The next one is a ceratopsian tooth...needs a good cleaning.  Toothbrush and water ought to do it for that one.  It has one root.  Torosaurs and Triceratops  teeth have two roots.  Leptoceratops teeth have one root.  After you clean it, see if the second root is broken off or just never was there.  The last one is a fragment of a jaw... hard to say exactly whose but the very rounded and close together tooth grooves suggest either ceratopsian or hadrosaur.   

Thank you very much! I appreciate the information!

I dont see a break where the double root would be in the tooth so I am thinking Lepto but please correct me if I am just not seeing it!

Not a Lepto its Ceratopsian. Lepto's do not have a crown face that flat and angled back.  The second root would be something like my beautiful artwork :s_cry:

1677409197131.jpg.22fb8d9f1ab73e094662868e4cd6a827.jpg

You should number your specimens in future posts easier to refer to them

They are usually worn or broken.

Here is what they look like from a couple of different jaw positions

Teethxxx.thumb.jpg.6f22247a964fe98eec8017aa174c5e20.jpg

I drew my art wrong yours looks more like the one on the right.  Very fragile roots