Late Cretaceous (early Maastrichtian) fossils

Fossilsforever

Hello all!

I visited a small creek not far away from where I live (Vaals, Selzerbeek). :thumbsu:

This location has late Cretaceous sediments from the Gulpen and Maastricht Formations (Kalksteen van Vijlen, Orsbach Kreide en Kunrader Kalksteen). 

I think most of the finds are from the Vijlen Kalksteen (Vijlen Chalk). 

Found some nice late Cretaceous (early Maastrichtian) fossils including some small shark teeth and one fossil gastropod Steinkern/internal mold (I don't know the exact species). The fossils are belemnites (Belemnitella and Belemnella (Pachybelemnella) sp., parts of Echinocorys sea urchins (I think Echinocorys scutata (Leske, 1778) and one complete one (possible Echinocorys scutata (Leske, 1778), oysters (Pycnodonte vesicularis (Lamarck, 1806) and one Cardiaster sp. (possibly C. granulosus (Goldfuss, 1829). The shark teeth (crowns) in particular are quite rare from this location and one crown is 1,4-1,5 cm long. One small shark teeth has the roots. I am not quite sure which species this is (third tooth at the bottom row in the first picture). Also found one Equus sp. (horse tooth) and one unkown tooth from the Holocone or Pleistocene epoch. 

Edited: the small shark tooth with the root and side cusps is possibly Cretalamna appendiculata (Agassiz, 1843) and the snail is Natica sp. (N. cretacea (Goldfuss,1844). Its possible that crowns of Pseudocorax sp. are also present (and Carcharias sp.). 

20230226_161122.jpg

Vondsten Selzerbeek.jpg

Edited by Fossilsforever
  • Enjoyed 8