Marrellomorph or something else?

Alexthefossilfinder

The top picture here is of something I found. It's very small, barely measuring a quarter of an inch wide, and I can't find much on what it could be. I originally thought it may be a graptolite, but I can't find any genera that match its shape. It's similar in shape to a marrellomorph, such as the Furca in the second image, but I haven't found anything conclusive, especially being that Marrellomorph fossils are extremely rare.

2 more things: I found this when I was young so I don't know where it came from, but it most likely ranges from Ordovician to Devonian based on where I've been.

Unfortunately I can't get any better pictures as I got this from using a magnifier at the ROM, but as of now I do not have one of my own that I can use to zoom in any closer. 

IMG_20230103_115708256.jpg

179398-9.jpg

Interesting!  I see what the item is, but these are outside my bailiwick 

• Thank You 1

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

6 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Sorry, but I do not see it.  However the photo is very pixelated which might be obscuring the image.

Don

It's hard to tell, but I haven't found anything else that matches it

Perhaps a photo of the entire rock would be helpful to determine age and possibly formation.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

6 minutes ago, Kane said:

Perhaps a photo of the entire rock would be helpful to determine age and possibly formation.

The possible marrellomorph is circled

IMG_20230228_203804348_HDR~2.jpg

Judging by the other “branching” features on the rock alongside the crinoidal bits, it seems probable that the tiny specimen is a sheared cross section of bryozoan.

4 minutes ago, Kane said:

Judging by the other “branching” features on the rock alongside the crinoidal bits, it seems probable that the tiny specimen is a sheared cross section of bryozoan.

Along which axis do you think it would be? I don't know much about bryozoans 

Lengthwise at an angle. Picture a tube sliced at a sharp angle.

557D2025-1FE2-48AD-AF50-AD208FEAE4A6.jpeg

28 minutes ago, Kane said:

Lengthwise at an angle. Picture a tube sliced at a sharp angle.

557D2025-1FE2-48AD-AF50-AD208FEAE4A6.jpeg

Could be. The only doubt I have on that is the shaping. I can see it if it's just a circular shape, but its also got the part sticking out on the right side, which I imagine was mirrored in life

It could be a section through several very different things, such as a brachiopod, bit of a trilobite, etc.  A closer photo with the fossil centered in the field of view would be helpful.

That being said, I doubt very much that it is a marrellomorph.  Marrellomorphs are always highly flattened, it would be extremely unlikely to see a section through one in a limestone cobble like this.

Don

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1