Late Cenomanian Eagle Ford Vertebrate ID

LSCHNELLE

Please help (if possible) to narrow down the ID of this bone. It doesn't look fishy to me, unless it's a really big fish fragment. I tried to dissolve and remove the very hard matrix from around the fossil. But, it only softened the fossil more. I have put on a coating of thick cyanocrylate try and stabilize it. These are some early photos from right after I found it.

20230128_182020.jpg

20230128_182028.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

36 minutes ago, LSCHNELLE said:

20230128_182020.jpg

The texture in this photo is giving me a turtle vibe, but more photos as it dries or gets revealed might give some folks other ideas :) 

• I Agree 1

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

15 hours ago, Jared C said:

The texture in this photo is giving me a turtle vibe, but more photos as it dries or gets revealed might give some folks other ideas :) 

Could it be a partial scapular process and partial acronium from a Cenomanian Protostegidae indet. or similar turtle?

See pictures from German paper -

PaleorXiv Papers | Protostegid marine turtle remains from the Cenomanian (Late Cretaceous) of the Kassenberg (Mülheim an der Ruhr, Western Germany)
https://paleorxiv.org/c78k3/

Screenshot_20230301_113209_Chrome.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

From the photos we have it looks comparable but I don't know enough to call it 100%.

3 minutes ago, LSCHNELLE said:

Could it be a partial scapular process and partial acronium from a Cenomanian Protostegidae indet. or similar turtle?

Fortunately, there is a central Texas Protostegid that I know of from the lower eagle ford (lake waco member). Protostega eaglefordensis

• I Agree 1

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg