Venice Diving Trip 2/25

Parker Brown

Hello everyone!

I headed down to Venice, Florida to go diving for the day. We ended up doing really good and it was definitely worth the trip. We did three dives and i ended up with a good amount of megs/makos/himis, a few hundred small teeth, a piece of mammoth tooth, two whale ears, a whale vert, and an alligator scoot . I also got a piece of tusk that is about 3" diameter and 12" long. It is not pictured here because it is super fragile and some has already fallen off. It's currently soaking in fresh water and once it is done I will update with some photos.

The largest meg is measuring in at just over 4.5" and it one of the highest quality ones that I have found to date.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to see better photos of!!

IMG_1723.JPG

IMG_1725.JPG

IMG_1724.JPG

IMG_1713.JPG

IMG_1716.JPG

IMG_1714.JPG

IMG_1715.JPG

IMG_1720.JPG

IMG_1713.JPG

IMG_1720.JPG

IMG_1721.JPG

IMG_1717.JPG

IMG_1722.JPG

• Enjoyed 11

Thanks for the trip report!!! Nice finds.. I am curious,   when you are down there (15-20 feet?) what does the bottom look like.  Is it black fossils on top of a layer of sand ?

Are there crests in the sand due to wave action..?

Thanks for any insights

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

3 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Thanks for the trip report!!! Nice finds.. I am curious,   when you are down there (15-20 feet?) what does the bottom look like.  Is it black fossils on top of a layer of sand ?

Are there crests in the sand due to wave action..?

Thanks for any insights

Most spots are within 15ft-30ft deep. The bottom really can look like all types of things. I personally like to hunt through the reef. I feel like their are more teeth in the reef but at the same time I have seen that the teeth that we find in the reef are more often than not pretty beat up. Last weekend we went to a spot that was mostly sand rows that the waves have created. Some of bottom of the rows in this spot actually had some exposed clay that these "higher quality" teeth have been coming out of recently. 

In the reef you look for gravel patches just like you are hunting the river. The more bone you see the more likely that you are going to find teeth in that area. From hunting the Peace recently I have seen that their is a lot more Dugon and whale bone in Venice that in the river. On a dive I think that I could easily fill up multiple 5 gallon buckets with them. 

Hope this answers your question,

Parker

• I found this Informative 5

Nice finds, you don’t get a lot of terrestrial stuff out there

• I Agree 1

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Nice finds!

• Thank You 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin