Fossil Collect

Hi I’m going to Utah in April and I am looking for some good places to collect. I’m specifically looking for some Morrison formation places but I’m open to anything. Thanks.

Collecting any vertebrate fossils, especially dinosaur on public Federal land is illegal! Much of Utah is public Federal land. Unless you know somebody who has Morrison Formation outcropping on his or her land who will give you permission to collect there, I'm afraid you aren't going to find what you're seeking. Sorry. 

• I found this Informative 2

47 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

Collecting any vertebrate fossils, especially dinosaur on public Federal land is illegal! Much of Utah is public Federal land. Unless you know somebody who has Morrison Formation outcropping on his or her land who will give you permission to collect there, I'm afraid you aren't going to find what you're seeking. Sorry. 

Ahh thanks. Sad that most dinosaur locations are government land. Hope some day to get some land in the Morrison.

Actually, you don't need permission to enter government land and you can collect other types of fossils, just no vertebrates. I have collected ammonites, petrified wood, and fossil leaves on government land. To enter private land, you better have permission. Hopefully some day you can afford to buy or lease some land with Morrison Formation outcrops. 

• I found this Informative 2

10 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Actually, you don't need permission to enter government land and you can collect other types of fossils, just no vertebrates. I have collected ammonites, petrified wood, and fossil leaves on government land. To enter private land, you better have permission. Hopefully some day you can afford to buy or lease some land with Morrison Formation outcrops. 

Oh nice! Thanks, I sure hope I can.

Yeah, Utah Morrison is tough.  But go to Dinosaur Nat'l Monument to see the wall of bones.  Pretty impressive.  

• I Agree 1

On 3/2/2023 at 12:11 PM, jpc said:

Dinosaur Nat'l Monument to see the wall of bones.  Pretty impressive

IMG_20180702_161211125.thumb.jpg.fadbcfbc413eda8e5392b1818f1f36b4.jpg

Found a picture of when we were out there 5 years ago.  Incredible the amount of bones that are still there and how many were removed and sent to museums.  

• Enjoyed 2