Fake Amber or Real?

Could I ask everyone’s opinion. I purchased some Amber from China. I was told it was real, but I am not sure.

I tried the salt water test and it does not float with two cups of warm water and a quarter cup of salt.

Another piece that was purchased from a reputable seller does float.

When I add A lot more salt then it all floats.

Can anyone help me?

Here are some photos with and without UV light.

1.jpg

1a.jpg

2.jpg

2a.jpg

3.jpg

3a.jpg

4.jpg

4a.jpg

I'm not an expert on amber but from what I've seen these look authentic. Amber does fluorescence in UV and it seems all of your pieces do that, also the way the pieces have inclusions seems very natural to me, this seems like it would be hard to fake, fake material usually has either too few inclusions and are really clean, or can be very bubbly, neither of which I see here. Fake amber also often has perfectly positioned bugs, in the center, prone position, and often very yellow in coloration.

As for the saltwater rest, I'd assume the amber can have varied density depending on where it came from, the inclusions and other variables so I don't think it necessarily means much that it takes different amounts of salt to make them float.

But I'd wait for more opinions, like I said I'm not an expert.

Acetone, distinguish amber from copal or modern resin... 

Place a small drop on the polished surface

Allow to evaporate

Wipe area with a tissue

Is the area sticky? tacky?

Amber is impervious to acetone. Modern or "newer" resins i.e. copal are softened.

Caution, if the piece is not amber the polish will be lost at the tested spot.

• I found this Informative 2

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Amber from China is most likely Burmite 

The sellers often cross the border to acquire the Amber in Burma. Most of it is for jewellery.  With the small pieces with inclusions as a “side gig” (pers com with someone I get mine from)

These look genuine to me 

• I Agree 1

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector