Shark tooth, two jaw bone pieces(?) and a worm/ leech(?) IDs please

Rowboater

For scale the smaller "jaw" piece in the center with four "sockets" is 1" ( 2.5 cm).  I thought the shark tooth (with big flat base root) was a cow shark, but seems too big?

Have no clue what this slug/ worm, leech-like thing is.  I dropped it on a hard tile floor and lost a small piece of the end (opposite the more interesting "antennae" on the other end.)  It is hard, black fossilized.  The more rounded side ("top") has a center line.  The more flat side, also with center line, looks almost muscular, although could be six or more similarly sized weathered segments? Neat.

The "jaw bones" are a few that I occasionally find.  The longer one seems to have two rows of tooth sockets(?), about two dozen but no obvious teeth.  The uglier one has four bigger or flatter sockets or segments.

Any IDs would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance!  Sorry for the scanner pics, been a nightmare lately.

2023-03-02-ID.thumb.jpg.f103ef578702184991f2943ae4debf2f.jpgPhoto_2023-03-02_id2.thumb.jpg.61a7182c70b1caae28d71502ddbdfc78.jpg2023-03-02_id3.thumb.jpg.22a5916f72f7122813d8461ad229ad81.jpg

The tooth looks like an upper cowshark, if not, it is most likely a Physogaleus contortus tooth. The object below it looks like part of a crab claw tip with the knobs partially weathered away.

• I Agree 2

@Adam86cucv  Most denticles (and I don't find many) are from skates, some are small, circular with a small spike, most would look like shell pieces but for a striking enamel center (some are beautiful, but most are broken).  If it is a big shark denticle it is different from anything I've found. It is just short of an inch across.

@Al Dente  Thanks, I have a number of much smaller cowshark upper teeth that look similar, but still different.  I didn't note that one side is sunken in (damage?  or normal to that kind of tooth?)    This new spot has fewer teeth, but some differences from where I hunt (5 miles away).  I have found relatively more tiger shark teeth; could any be Physogaleus?

Photo_2023-03-03_tiger.thumb.jpg.7263cba8a1a995717b6141b91da7b744.jpg

5 hours ago, Rowboater said:

This new spot has fewer teeth, but some differences from where I hunt (5 miles away).  I have found relatively more tiger shark teeth; could any be Physogaleus?

What size are they? If it is Miocene, then these are aduncus teeth. Some people will call them Galeocerdo aduncus, some will call them Physogaleus aduncus.

The jaw is a fish jaw, by the way! Not sure of what - but definitely fish

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

On 3/2/2023 at 6:05 PM, Al Dente said:

The tooth looks like an upper cowshark, if not, it is most likely a Physogaleus contortus tooth. The object below it looks like part of a crab claw tip with the knobs partially weathered away.

I'm not particularly familiar with fossil shark species, but from what I know of recent ones I would also guess an upper six or seven gill shark (for the upper right tooth)

My collection of Uncommon extant shark teeth - Here

My collection of interesting rare shark jaws - Here