What are these 'stalks' on this geode?

Alexander D.G

Hi all, I found this chalcedony geode on the Nordmany coastline. After later inspection i found these 'stalks' all over the geode, i assume it's a plant fossil. Could anybody tell me exactly what it is? They are quite small, the one in the second picture is 1 cm long.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Looks more like some sort of branching bryozoan.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 4

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Didn't even know those existed, let alone still exist today. What I found looks quite similar to fossils like rhombopora or leioclema, so I'd say this one is solved. Thanks!

• Enjoyed 1

@Alexander D.G Sorry to exaggerate a bit, but there are a zillion types of branching bryozoa. You would first have to find out the stratigraphy of your find in order to at least have a chance at a choice about which bryozoa you have found. I believe that the Normandy coast ranges mostly from the Cretaceous through to the Jurassic, so that would rule out both rhombopora and leioclema, since they both went extinct at the latest in the Permian.

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I realise that, my intent when pointing those two out was to say 'what i found looks similar to this so it probably means that it is indeed a bryozoa of some kind' and not that it is a rhombopora or a leioclema. Sorry for the confusion

• I found this Informative 1