Long ago Fossil Hunting Trip

RJB

Im guessing, but it was around 15/16 years ago when I went on a float trip down the Marias River here in Montana to hunt for fossils.  Not a clue if we would find anything but fortunately we came home with some stuff.  This one ammonite, Mariasensis turned out to be one very rare ammonite.  I made a short little 1:30 minute video for anyone who would like to see it.  Enjoy.

RB

https://youtu.be/bM_yZs1uvxI

• Enjoyed 8

That is a loverly ammonite, Ron! I may not really collect them, but I have always thought that ammonites were pretty neat!

Thanks for Sharing!

Cheers and Shalom,

-Micah

• Thank You 1

cool ammonite... I have never heard of this thing.  How come it is not in Neal Larson's book?  I am sure mariasensis is a species name, not a genus; genus is capitalized, species is not and 'ensis' is an ending generally used for species.   

I googled it.  There is a Baculites mariasensis but there is also a Scaphites mariasensis, which is what this is.  The scaphite is Turonian, so too old to be in Larsen's book.  Nice find.   

Edited by jpc
  • I found this Informative 3

21 hours ago, jpc said:

There is a Baculites mariasensis but there is also a Scaphites mariasensis, which is what this is.

You've nailed it JP.  I was wondering if mariasensis was the Genus or species?  Thank you

RB

Loving your videos @RJB

I was checking out a couple where you show your process prepping three tumidos from start to finish. A master class in crab prepping and a valuable resource!!

:default_clap2:

8 hours ago, Doctor Mud said:

Loving your videos @RJB

I was checking out a couple where you show your process prepping three tumidos from start to finish. A master class in crab prepping and a valuable resource!!

Thank you Dr Mud.  I really do this for myself, but like to share.  So glad you like my video's.

RB