Advice for Hunting the Yorkshire Coast of England

minnbuckeye

We have purchased airfare for a trip to England in mid May. It is likely my one and only time to visit England. The majority of our time will be in the southern parts to allow my wife to fulfil her Beatles fetish and my Stonehenge desires. But we will be traveling up to the Yorkshire Coast and staying in Whitby for a few days. This is where I am allowed to devote my time to fossil hunting! From my understanding, hunting is not an all day happening due to the tides. So I want to make the most of my time. There is a guide, who takes groups out, that is available to help in Runswick Bay. Having watched many videos, I am wondering if the guide would be necessary. It just seems like with such a short time to hunt, would the guide  help or hinder my success? Also, I have explored information on Sandsend, Ravenscar, Runswick, and Saltwick. Which site might be most productive for me. My desires are not to go home with a ton of fossils, but maybe a nice ammonite or two. This may help in where you may suggest I visit. Also, I came across Hayburn Wyke which is noted for plant fossils, something I love collecting. If plants are not uncommon, I thought of visiting there the second day. I am ALL EARS and would greatly appreciate any guidance that you could offer. Also, any dining suggestions in Whitby? Just message me if needed.

Thanks so much,

Mike

• Enjoyed 1

@minnbuckeye Kettleness and Port Mulgrave are also good sites. Just check out the Yorkshire locations on this website if you're not already familiar with it. With a bit of luck you can find Ginkgo at Scalby Ness. And be sure to visit our member Byron Blessed @fossils-uk at his shop in Whitby.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

keep an eye on the tide times is very important! Also, and I don't know what shape your in; some of the beaches mentioned on your list can be very arduous to get down to and especially back up! The guide may at least take you to the ones with easier access. Just something to keep in mind..and have a great trip!

Oh, and bring me back an Ichthyosaur! :P

The tides are very important and you should always be on the beach three hours before low tide. 

so arriving on specific days is vital. 
there are numerous “guides” offering fossil hunting but most are not trained geologist or paleontologists so you won’t get great advice.
when your here only pick up loose pebbles never dig into the cliffs or rock to extract fossils. 
the cliffs are very dangerous and can fall at a seconds notice. The best fossils are to be found away from the cliffs as the tide goes out. 
there is a great Victorian style museum with fossils in.
if you have any specific questions about the area you can always dm or message me. 
cheers 

byron 

fossils-uk

• I Agree 1

@Ludwigia, thanks for the wonderful advice. The Ginkgo tree is one of my favorites!! I reforested 45 acres of my property and incorporated some gingko in the plantation. My forester was not concerned about it being a non native species. They are about 20 years old and continue to freeze back to the ground every few years. I need a little bit more global warming to establish these trees. Hopefully I will fail!!

On 3/4/2023 at 8:59 PM, JimB88 said:

some of the beaches mentioned on your list can be very arduous to get down to and especially back up

@JimB88, Just looking at some of the photos shows the difficulty at task. Where I go may have more to do with whether my wife tags along. She would not call an excursion  up and down a slippery steep cliff her idea of a vacation!!

@fossils-uk, I am sure I will have a question or two for you, but will wait closer to our trip to ask. Thanks so much for the help.

Edited by minnbuckeye
  • Enjoyed 1

Sounds like you have a fantastic trip planned

Looking forward to reading your trip report

• Thank You 1

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

Hi , Saltwick Bay can be productive and is a favourite of mine , from near Whitby Abbey you can do a scenic cliff top walk that leads to a small caravan site and the steps down to Saltwick Bay . Fossils do replenish in this bay with the tides but please don't hunt close to the cliffs as it not safe.

Enjoy your vacation

Cheers John

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Be happy while you're living for you're a long time dead.