Please help identify: Possibly corals and sponges?

FindersKeepersFossil

Good evening,

This is my first post on this forum and I apologize if I have not followed the appropriate etiquette.

Attached are images of fossils collected at Lake Travis in Austin Texas.

The rock type should be cretaceous. These were collected from and around crumbling limestone near the lake's edge.

Often the sponges/spheres were found sticking out of the limestone walls, other times they were found on the ground scattered amidst large bivalves and gastropods.

The same can be said for the long coral type fossils also pictured.

Identification is requested and I would appreciate the help of anyone who has familiarity with fossils of this type.

Thank you everyone for your time and expertise.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Welcome to the Forum. 

Photos are best posted as a JPEG. Not sure if a webp is actually on the Forum server; it needs to be for posterity.

Round spheres are Cretaceous Porocystis globularis which are thought to be algae.

https://www.txfossils.com/plant-fossils-travis-county-tx

Sticks might be sponges. Clear photos of details from the best piece are needed to see spicules Also need a close up cross section. You may have to take a photo using a lens or microscope.

Also, what formation did the stick like sponges? come from? Use map below. There are stick like sponges from the Pennsylvanian from Texas. 

https://txpub.usgs.gov/txgeology/

Both Cretaceous and Pennsylvanian  rocks are present at Lake Travis.

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Agreed, the round thingies are Porocystis globularis. The stick fossils are not sponges, but are rather ichnofossils- trace fossils of burrows, possibly of ghost shrimp or crustaceans. They are found all over in the central Texas limestone. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1