Quick Stop Back From Permian Trip

TroyB

Hi all, Chris and I decided to make a quick stop to a couple of our favorite Texas Cretaceous sites on the way back from Seymour Permian redbeds. Here are a photo of some shark teeth and fish/shark verts from one site and a nice gastropod from the other. I believe the gastropod is from the Genus Harpagodes but not sure what species it is. While I was cleaning the gastropod, I discovered a small crab claw fragment in the stone.

post-944-1273327482552_thumb.jpg

post-944-12733274974131_thumb.jpg

Tankman

The claw is a nice bonus!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Great finds TroyB!

Thanks for showing us!

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Troy that claw is not from a crab its from a shrimp. Nice find!

Thanks Micropterus

Tankman

• 1 year later...

The gastropod might be Harpagodes shumardi (Hill, 1889) but I'm not sure it looks much like a real Aporrhaidae, very interessant and rare gastropod !!!

Philippe

• 4 years later...

I just fell back on this post. I think actually it is very similar to the Genus : Pletzachia (Aporrhaidae). Are you still in possession of this gastropod ? Is it possible to have more precision with stratigraphy and locality ???  Thank you.

Philippe

• 1 year later...
On 11/13/2016 at 3:00 PM, Phil75 said:

I just fell back on this post. I think actually it is very similar to the Genus : Pletzachia (Aporrhaidae). Are you still in possession of this gastropod ? Is it possible to have more precision with stratigraphy and locality ???  Thank you.

sorry, i'm no longer in possession. 

Tankman