Seeking Information On Wyoming

fossilnut

fossilnut

My wife and I are traveling to Thermopolis, Wyoming in September for two Elderhostel (Exploritas)service programs on dinosaurs. We are rockhounds and fossil hunters and would like to do some hunting on our own while we are in Wyoming. We are driving so can travel around the state. We would appreciate any information members can provide for us. Fossilnut

Stonebreaker

Hi. I have worked there quite a few times and while I wasnt bitten by the fossil bug at the time,make sure you drive through wind canyon it has many pull offs and almost step back in time as far as their explanation of the layers (You will get what I mean when you get there) My buddy goes down there all the time.i will get you more info. BTW half way through the canyon is indian reservation.So becareful with what you take.I know for a fact you cant fish there without being a native american or getting a special permit.But, looking in hindsight,it looked amazing. I was told theres quite a few places around the lake to dig around the banks.(AT the end of wind canyon,lotsa shale from my understanding) I hope to get down there again soon as its not a far drive from billings MT. Good luck and i will get you more info ASAP.

PS. Thers a really cool dino museum right downtown and recharge those weary bodies in the hot springs after a day of turning rocks!

Edited by Stonebreaker

Hi. I have worked there quite a few times and while I wasnt bitten by the fossil bug at the time,make sure you drive through wind canyon it has many pull offs and almost step back in time as far as their explanation of the layers (You will get what I mean when you get there) My buddy goes down there all the time.i will get you more info. BTW half way through the canyon is indian reservation.So becareful with what you take.I know for a fact you cant fish there without being a native american or getting a special permit.But, looking in hindsight,it looked amazing. I was told theres quite a few places around the lake to dig around the banks.(AT the end of wind canyon,lotsa shale from my understanding) I hope to get down there again soon as its not a far drive from billings MT. Good luck and i will get you more info ASAP.

PS. Thers a really cool dino museum right downtown and recharge those weary bodies in the hot springs after a day of turning rocks!

Hi Stonebreaker. Thanks for the reply. Look forward to your information. Welcome to the Forum. I am fairly new myself but there is a lot of very interesting people and information.

I use to roam some of the areas in central Wyoming over 30 years ago. In the vicinity of the "hole in the wall", which is located on what used to be, and maybe still is, Tug Taylor's ranch, there were a whole lot of belemnites to be found. Typically found at the base of the big red cliffs in the area, but also found in hilly outcrop regions. Not sure how or if you can get access there, but that's what I know of Wyoming.

• I found this Informative 1
old dead things

Rockhounding Wyoming by Kenneth Lee Graham (Falcon Press) is an excellent book with great directions.

Jim

Old Dead Things

Stonebreaker

Funny i just went and bought that today but the montana version was sold out. :*(

fossil man

i have to agree with old dead things. I used it for the blue forest and it did a pretty good job. That was the only one i had time for. Hope it helps

• 10 months later...

I know this was posted last year but south of Wamsutter, Wyoming, off I-80, middle of state, including Delaney Rim, and Wamsutter Rim, you can find agates, fossils, just about anything. Wander back towards the Haystacks and Man and Boy butte and find petrified wood with signs of having been burnt. Towards the center of Wyoming is Jeffrey City, North of Rawlins, Wyoming, there is jade, agates, fossils, arrow heads, and serious wildlife that can carry you off and eat you. So, keep your eyes open.

• I found this Informative 2
  • 3 years later...

Rockhounding Wyoming by Kenneth Lee Graham (Falcon Press) is an excellent book with great directions.

Jim

Old Dead Things

Be advised that in some instances the access is no longer valid. Roads change, Trespassing signs appear. Quarries are activated, etc. Considering it probably took 20 years to compile, it's no wonder. It's good where it's good. My books are better for the Bighorn Basin area only. Outside the Basin I use Graham.

For fossils and rocks and minerals in the Bighorn Basin area (Thermopolis is in the southern Bighorn Basin) I have compiled 4 booklets. The first rockhounding book is the best for fossils. I detail finds from an upper Cretaceous marine fossil site also. My second rockhound book has a few common fossil sites and book on minerals in the area. There are lots of other sites around. All the ones I describe are on public land. Access was checked no longer ago than 2011, but erosion happens.

• 3 years later...
  • 7 months later...
On 10/26/2018 at 6:54 PM, LivingmydreamWyoming said:

What are the titles of your booklets, & where can I get them please. 

I am interested as well!