Dugong or Proboscidean tooth ?

Done Drillin

Looking for some help to try and id this tooth I found along the St. Marys River in southern Georgia/ Northern Florida yesterday. My initial thought was a proboscidean milk tooth but after reviewing similar specimens from previous posts I believe it could just as well be dugongid@Harry Pristis and @Shellseeker have both posted excellent photos of both, but I just can’t seem to decide. Are there any distinguishing characteristics in the photos I posted that will allow one to say with some degree of certainty which one it is ? The tooth measures 25mm X 15mm. The low ridge shown in the first picture is not a feature I can find in any dugong tooth pictures. Many thanks !

BF961192-5B2E-463A-AE44-481FBCAAFD56.jpeg

EDC19F75-1F9E-4F2F-8E06-D4CFF78ADCEB.jpeg

C05B8C12-EC2A-4A9D-A3F2-47FD27CDEEA9.jpeg

359BE026-A499-4EC1-91F7-0378AD6728AA.jpeg

Edited by Done Drillin
  • Enjoyed 1

Seeing this in better lighting, I think it’s 1/3rd (Or 1 cusp, anyway) of a Probiscidean. Probably Gomph, if I had to guess. 

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

From previous discussions apparently these can be difficult to identify from photos alone - From what I have seen Mastodon and Gomp can have similar low ridges. Wether or not there is any validity to that I’m just not sure........ 

Edited by Done Drillin
Spelling
  • Enjoyed 1

24 minutes ago, Done Drillin said:

From previous discussions apparently these can be difficult to identify from photos alone - From what I have seen Mastodon and Gomp can have similar low ridges. Wether or not there is any validity to that I’m just not sure........ 

that’s totally fair - I was thinking Gomph due to location, but I know you’ve found Mastodon there before so I suppose it could really go either way 

1 minute ago, Harry Pristis said:

This appears to be an unworn dugongid tooth.  American mastodon milk teeth have essentially transverse cusps.

mastodonvsmetaxytherium.jpg.68b886b5608d14d47d92dd5bc96c0e48.jpg

Oh, turns out my initial thought was right then. Neat. :heartylaugh:

though now I need to post the 2 teeth I’ve found that I’ve thought were mastodon milk teeth pieces.

2 hours ago, Done Drillin said:

Looking for some help to try and id this tooth I found along the St. Marys River in southern Georgia/ Northern Florida yesterday. My initial thought was a proboscidean milk tooth but after reviewing similar specimens from previous posts I believe it could just as well be dugongid@Harry Pristis and @Shellseeker have both posted excellent photos of both, but I just can’t seem to decide. Are there any distinguishing characteristics in the photos I posted that will allow one to say with some degree of certainty which one it is ? The tooth measures 25mm X 15mm. The low ridge shown in the first picture is not a feature I can find in any dugong tooth pictures. Many thanks !

I recognize the problem....

I have stared at my finds for hours trying to find those distinguishing features. I recognize the fact that I have knowledge of previous hunting history for the locations I frequent... Where I find Gomph,  I do not find Dugong, and vice_versa also applies.

That thought,  along with Richard Hulbert's subsequent confirmation,  makes me absolutely sure that this is a Gomph milk tooth...

IMG_2958ce2R.jpg.98ff9f7141871bf3248d5b8ded760ae5.jpg

IMG_2966ce.jpg.e7329251e294bd389aa7a5a03ca8d5a6.jpg

Lacking the same unique insights for your find, I need to depend on the deeper/longer held expertise of Richard and Harry...

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Appreciate all the help ! Have convinced myself both ways so that expertise is invaluable - I will say that the area it came from has produced a number of both mammoth and mastodon fossils and this would be the first dugong..... @Shellseeker The cusps are certainly different in your example but that low ridge ( if I am seeing it correctly) seems to be quite similar !