• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 fossilnut

fossilnut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:01 AM

My wife and I will be driving to Wyoming in September to do 2 Elderhostel (Exploritas) service programs on dinosaurs in Thermopolis. Would like to do some fossil collecting as well as rock and minerals while we are out there. Any help would be appreciated. We use our collection to do talks to local schools and senior centers. Also make up collections for the schools.

#2 bwatkins19

bwatkins19

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:09 PM

My wife and I will be driving to Wyoming in September to do 2 Elderhostel (Exploritas) service programs on dinosaurs in Thermopolis. Would like to do some fossil collecting as well as rock and minerals while we are out there. Any help would be appreciated. We use our collection to do talks to local schools and senior centers. Also make up collections for the schools.

Wyoming
16 miles south of Kemmerer on Highway 189. Turn off Highway 189 at the Cumberland Gap, drive about .2 miles and pull off onto a dirt road on the north side of the road. Drive on the dirt road NE about .8 miles around Oyster ridge and stop at the next ridge beyond Oyster ridge. On the east side of this slope pelecypods are found. The other cool thing of note is some petroglyphs in the area that are north of the source.
Note: First, get USGS Cumberland Gap, Wyo. 7.5' Quad to assist you with the local landmarks.

Warfield Springs is a "pay quarry" which produces many freshwater fishes and the occasional insect. The site itself is very well run; there is an overseer who collects the daily digging fee. Hammers and chisel tools are supplied as part of the fee and are very serviceable. In addition, the overseer has a tractor/loader to cart away the overburden which you will probably have to strip away where you dig (it takes some time but the results are usually worth it). You should call ahead to be sure no large groups are coming in when you plan to be there. If you are stopping at Warfield you should also plan to include a visit to Fossil Butte National Monument Park near Kemmerer. They carry a number of books, maps, videos, etc. concerning the history, geology, and digging sites. They also have brochures from the local quarries that charge fees to dig.

Ulrich's offer quarry digging in a section of their quarry site on a daily basis. The fossils from Ulrich's tend to be better than other quarries because they split cleaner and the fossils themselves tend to be darker in color than at other quarries. Quarrying is done with an on-site assistant, tools are provided but the dig is limited to a half day starting early in the morning. You will generally find that you will collect as many nice specimens in the half day at Ulrich's as you will in a whole day other places (and they tend to be of higher quality). Ulrichs will also cut down the extra area of rock around the fossil per your directions on one their stone cutting saws. Ulrich Fossil Gallery, Fossil Station #308, Kemmerer, Wyoming 83101, 307-877-6466. 307-877-3289 (fax)

Other pay quarries in the area include:
Warfield Fossil Quarries
307-833-2445
2072 Muddy String Road
Thane, Wyoming 83127
(mailing address-not the site)

Severn Studio and Fossil Quarry
P.O. Box 1347
Kemmerer, Wyoming 83101
307-877-9402
Peter and Robbie Stevens Prop.

Tynsky Quarry
Kemmerer, Wyoming 83101
James E. and Carolyn Tynsky
(Call information for a phone number)

Fossil Country Museum
400 Pine Avenue
Kemmerer, Wyoming 83101
307-877-6551

Petrified wood is found at Blue Forest, southwest Wyoming, and related areas (Farson / Big Sandy palm/cane beds, and Eden Valley / Woodtop). Age 42MY (Eocene); ranges from excellent blue agatized, exquisite details, to brown rottenwood; some golden calcite; lots of shards washed out on surface; best stuff must be dug up.

For fossils from the Green River Formation, try visiting the town of Green River itself. Poke around for fish fossils just below Fontinelle Dam, about 20 minutes away from town. A crumbly shale bluff is exposed on the east side of the river there.

Non-collecting site: FOSSIL BUTTE NATIONAL MONUMENT

#3 fossilnut

fossilnut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:11 AM

Wyoming
16 miles south of Kemmerer on Highway 189. Turn off Highway 189 at the Cumberland Gap, drive about .2 miles and pull off onto a dirt road on the north side of the road. Drive on the dirt road NE about .8 miles around Oyster ridge and stop at the next ridge beyond Oyster ridge. On the east side of this slope pelecypods are found. The other cool thing of note is some petroglyphs in the area that are north of the source.
Note: First, get USGS Cumberland Gap, Wyo. 7.5' Quad to assist you with the local landmarks.

Warfield Springs is a "pay quarry" which produces many freshwater fishes and the occasional insect. The site itself is very well run; there is an overseer who collects the daily digging fee. Hammers and chisel tools are supplied as part of the fee and are very serviceable. In addition, the overseer has a tractor/loader to cart away the overburden which you will probably have to strip away where you dig (it takes some time but the results are usually worth it). You should call ahead to be sure no large groups are coming in when you plan to be there. If you are stopping at Warfield you should also plan to include a visit to Fossil Butte National Monument Park near Kemmerer. They carry a number of books, maps, videos, etc. concerning the history, geology, and digging sites. They also have brochures from the local quarries that charge fees to dig.

Ulrich's offer quarry digging in a section of their quarry site on a daily basis. The fossils from Ulrich's tend to be better than other quarries because they split cleaner and the fossils themselves tend to be darker in color than at other quarries. Quarrying is done with an on-site assistant, tools are provided but the dig is limited to a half day starting early in the morning. You will generally find that you will collect as many nice specimens in the half day at Ulrich's as you will in a whole day other places (and they tend to be of higher quality). Ulrichs will also cut down the extra area of rock around the fossil per your directions on one their stone cutting saws. Ulrich Fossil Gallery, Fossil Station #308, Kemmerer, Wyoming 83101, 307-877-6466. 307-877-3289 (fax)

Warfield Fossil Quarries
307-833-2445
2072 Muddy String Road
Thane, Wyoming 83127

P.O. Box 1347
Kemmerer, Wyoming 83101
307-877-9402

Tynsky Quarry
Kemmerer, Wyoming 83101

Fossil Country Museum
400 Pine Avenue
Kemmerer, Wyoming 83101
307-877-6551

Petrified wood is found at Blue Forest, southwest Wyoming, and related areas (Farson / Big Sandy palm/cane beds, and Eden Valley / Woodtop). Age 42MY (Eocene); ranges from excellent blue agatized, exquisite details, to brown rottenwood; some golden calcite; lots of shards washed out on surface; best stuff must be dug up.

For fossils from the Green River Formation, try visiting the town of Green River itself. Poke around for fish fossils just below Fontinelle Dam, about 20 minutes away from town. A crumbly shale bluff is exposed on the east side of the river there.

bwatkins19 Thanks for all the information-really appreciate it. Will spend some time going through it all.Fossilnut

#4 imisswyoming

imisswyoming

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:03 AM

I am looking for a site that I have not seen since the early 80's. My father worked on an oil rig in an area called Oyster Gap. I was a child at the time and my sense of direction was way off. I was wondering if someone here might know where this is located. My Mom thinks it is north of Kemmerer. Any help is greatly appreciated.

#5 bear-dog

bear-dog

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:22 AM

Wyoming

Warfield Fossil Quarries
307-833-2445
2072 Muddy String Road
Thane, Wyoming 83127

P.O. Box 1347
Kemmerer, Wyoming 83101
307-877-9402

Tynsky Quarry
Kemmerer, Wyoming 83101

Fossil Country Museum
400 Pine Avenue
Kemmerer, Wyoming 83101
307-877-6551

Any pictures of the petroglyphs? :blink:
Bear-dog.

#6 jpc

jpc

Member of the Month Nov. 2010; IPFOTM 06/10; VFOTM 12/10

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,647 posts

Awards

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:18 AM

I am looking for a site that I have not seen since the early 80's. My father worked on an oil rig in an area called Oyster Gap. I was a child at the time and my sense of direction was way off. I was wondering if someone here might know where this is located. My Mom thinks it is north of Kemmerer. Any help is greatly appreciated.

IMISSWYOMING-
dON'T KNOW IF YOU'LL SEE THIS, BUT THERE IS AN oYSTER RIDGE JUST NORTH OF KEMMERER. Dang cap lock. It is fronier Fm (cretaceous) and does indeed have fossil oysters.

#7 Tyrannotitan

Tyrannotitan

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:49 AM

See Como Bluff, it's located between the towns of Rock River and Medicine Bow, Wyoming. For further info see: http://en.wikipedia....iki/Como_Bluff.
Fossils fossils and again fossils

Kyivsharks

#8 jpc

jpc

Member of the Month Nov. 2010; IPFOTM 06/10; VFOTM 12/10

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,647 posts

Awards

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:48 AM

See Como Bluff, it's located between the towns of Rock River and Medicine Bow, Wyoming. For further info see: http://en.wikipedia....iki/Como_Bluff.

You can look at Como Bluff, butit is all posted "No Tresspassing", so stay off.

There are fossils (Paloezoic) at Anchor Dam near Thermop. I have not been there, but the folks at the WDC might know about it. What days will you guys be in the neighborhood? I can't promise anything, but if I am headed out in the field at the same time, and I feel like having company....(keep in mind that my fossil hunting is often my unwind, solo time; I like to go out on my own). In any case, y'oughta stop by the Tate Museum in Casper on your way out, and say hi.

#9 mrgoss

mrgoss

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:52 PM

You can look at Como Bluff, butit is all posted "No Tresspassing", so stay off.

There are fossils (Paloezoic) at Anchor Dam near Thermop. I have not been there, but the folks at the WDC might know about it. What days will you guys be in the neighborhood? I can't promise anything, but if I am headed out in the field at the same time, and I feel like having company....(keep in mind that my fossil hunting is often my unwind, solo time; I like to go out on my own). In any case, y'oughta stop by the Tate Museum in Casper on your way out, and say hi.

The Tate Museum is amazing My grandpa donated a ton of Jade to it. I always go there!!!!

#10 Fossil HNTR

Fossil HNTR

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:20 AM

I had the rare privilege of going on a week long dig at Como bluff quite a few years ago. It was connected somehow to the Tate museum and led by the one and only Dr. Robert Bakker, you know the guy we've all seen at least one time on dinosaur specials on TV, he's always wearing a cowboy hat and has a beard. It was an experience of a lifetime digging in an Allosaurus lair and other such sites, I really learned a lot, he is a fastinating man and artist. Como Bluff is on private property.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users