My First 4" Meg From Lee Creek

obsessed1

Well the rain finally stopped and we were going in!! With over two inches of rain the day before there just had to be some teeth exposed waiting to be found. I was on the second bus into the mine and as I entered the pit I saw Fossilmick. He already had some nice teeth in his box. I headed to the back of the mine but hadn't gone far when I spotted my first nice tooth. A small Chubentensis jutting out of the side of a fresh little gully washed out by the rain. I put it in my bag and continued on. About an hour later I saw what I had come for..the root and some serations of a Meg in another fresh washout. I said my please be whole chant as I dug it out. It was complete! It later measured 4 1/8 inches. My biggest Meg ever. I was in gravy mode now. Before the day was over I found 3 nice Cow shark teeth. another Chubentensis, some nice Makos and a few other nice pieces. By the time I reached the back of the mine I was tired and my pack heavy. But with what I had found the walk out and 6 hour drive home didn't seem as bad as normal.

post-281-1207790539_thumb.jpg post-281-1207790654_thumb.jpg

post-281-1207790665_thumb.jpg post-281-1207790680_thumb.jpg

post-281-1207790801_thumb.jpg post-281-1207790809_thumb.jpg

post-281-1207790820_thumb.jpg post-281-1207790870_thumb.jpg

post-281-1207790887_thumb.jpg post-281-1207791281_thumb.jpg

post-281-1207790783_thumb.jpg post-281-1207790774_thumb.jpg

Killer Meg! Too bad for me that all the Texas superlatives don't apply to shark teeth.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Could you provide a little info about that place?

Where's it at?

Does it cost? (How much?)

Can you keep everything?

Can you go any time?

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Bowkill,

The mine is located in Aurora, North Carolina. It is free to get into the mine. And yes you can keep all you find or at least all you care to lug out of there! They have a spring collecting season and another in the fall. Most people join a club as a method to get in but you can also get in by sending an email to the mine. You can find that info on www.elasmo.com It's a blast everyone should try it at least once.

Well the rain finally stopped and we were going in!! With over two inches of rain the day before there just had to be some teeth exposed waiting to be found. I was on the second bus into the mine and as I entered the pit I saw Fossilmick. He already had some nice teeth in his box. I headed to the back of the mine but hadn't gone far when I spotted my first nice tooth. A small Chubentensis jutting out of the side of a fresh little gully washed out by the rain. I put it in my bag and continued on. About an hour later I saw what I had come for..the root and some serations of a Meg in another fresh washout. I said my please be whole chant as I dug it out. It was complete! It later measured 4 1/8 inches. My biggest Meg ever. I was in gravy mode now. Before the day was over I found 3 nice Cow shark teeth. another Chubentensis, some nice Makos and a few other nice pieces. By the time I reached the back of the mine I was tired and my pack heavy. But with what I had found the walk out and 6 hour drive home didn't seem as bad as normal.

post-281-1207790539_thumb.jpg post-281-1207790654_thumb.jpg

post-281-1207790665_thumb.jpg post-281-1207790680_thumb.jpg

post-281-1207790801_thumb.jpg post-281-1207790809_thumb.jpg

post-281-1207790820_thumb.jpg post-281-1207790870_thumb.jpg

post-281-1207790887_thumb.jpg post-281-1207791281_thumb.jpg

post-281-1207790783_thumb.jpg post-281-1207790774_thumb.jpg

If you are into nice teeth this is the place to be.---- Kevin, Congrats again.... I hope we have this type of luck in the fall.

Holy snarge that tooth is beautiful!!!!!! Im glad you were able to get in that day considering how the weather has been here. Did your other half find a bunch of good fossils also? We will have to get up again to do some more hunting together. Congrats again!!!!

Where do I get my ticket ? Ok Anson and Cris what about it? :P:P:PB):D

After seeing all this, I'm certainly ready to take a trip there.

Wow, thats a nice meg Obsessed1. What county is Aurora in? My family is taking a trip to Oak Island in Brunswick county and if I get the chance I would love to check out that mine.

Maybe we could organize a forum member trip into the mine at some point in the future! I could be there in 12 hours if I had enough time to get someone to cover for me at work. Whether I got a C. Megalodon or not, it would be cool to get turned loose in a site like that with other like minded friends!

To be able to get into the mine in Aurora, NC (Beaufort County) is a selection process. I could possibly get some spots for "Thefossilforum" for the fall digs. Anson send me an PM if your interested. Also Check out this thread for details on how to get into the mine.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?sh...6&hl=aurora