Whiskey Bridge crab claw

Jared C

Not too often I find myself back on the ID section lately, so I guess it's a good thing I've found something that stands out now :)

In matrix, I found a crab claw at Whiskey Bridge (Eocene, Bartonian) in Texas. I did a brief search on the crabs of the area, but can't find anything I'm happy with that in particular shares the same rugosity as my specimen. Any thoughts welcome

IMG-8640.thumb.jpg.b63931823c5cf44c922b60ce0f82207a.jpg

IMG-8641.thumb.jpg.0513fc3abb91bb569b1e4c9a357762f0.jpgIMG-8642.thumb.jpg.e8e30d86941a974bd6bb78d43f7466c8.jpg

• Enjoyed 9

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

Very cool, have not seen any decapod that nice from there.  In GSA Special Papers No. 2 (1935) Fossil Crustacea of the Atlantic and Gulf Coastal Plain, the author (M J Rathbun) lists 6 species from the Cook Mountain Fm. (most of them from that specific locality that you collected):

Callianassa brazoensis

Calappilia diglypta

Harpactocarcinus americanus

Harpactocarcinus rathbunae

Harpactocarcinus species

Plagiolophus bakeri

Unfortunately, she does not show most of these in this book, so I can't tell you if any are matches.  But it may give you something to try and hunt down.

Edited by ClearLake
  • I found this Informative 3
  • Thank You 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/2/2023 at 8:04 AM, MB said:

Hi, that's a very nice paguroid chelae.

Must check if there are any described paguroid.

;)

thank you! what makes hermit crabs claws stand out from other crabs?

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg