Trilobite Authenticity

King Butler

So this was bought for me as a gift. Since they are not a fossil collector and it's a Morocco specimen I assume it is probably a fake, but since it's my first ever Trilobite I thought I'd double check.

Also if someone could let me know what species it is to, that would be great. As I mentioned I not collected any Trilobites befor so this is new for me.

Sorry about the image quality. Best I could do with my phone.

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image9.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

Looks real to me! The piece missing from the glabella, the detail of the eye lenses and tubercles, and the crack through the pygidium all point to it being real. Many Moroccan trilobites are real particularly the common ones. Restoration is common but real complete ones are plentiful. It's a nice addition to any collection. 

The identification is a little trickier, it looks like a Phacopid, maybe Morocops. The arrangement of eye lenses might be identifiable by someone more experienced, like Scott, @piranha

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 3

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

This one is Morocops as TopTrilo  @Top Trilo  has suggested. happy0144.gif The species is Morocops forteyi  indicated by the coarse tubercles on the glabella and the cruciform arrangement of the eye lenses.

image.thumb.png.b8c9bcb3104ccd15501969c99041e818.png

Chatterton, B.D.E., McKellar, R.C. 2009
Early and Middle Devonian Phacopidae (Trilobita) of Southern Morocco.

Palaeontographica Canadiana, 28:1-110  PDF LINK

Van Viersen, A.P., Holland, D., Koppka, J. 2017

The Phacopine Trilobite Genera Morocops Basse, 2006 and Adrisiops gen. nov. from the Devonian of Morocco.

Czech Geological Survey, Bulletin of Geosciences, 92(1):13-30  PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 3

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

nice one, has had a break but well glued. Sometimes the only way to find them, when you break the stone

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1