Carl

Wow... I had a SUPERB run around Texas for the last 2 weeks. The inaugural Permian Fest in Seymour, which was an absolute blast, started us off. Thanks Chris Flis @dinodigger and the other Whiteside folks for EVERYTHING! Then some more Permian in TX & OK. Then various archives and site pilgrimages relating to RT Bird, about whom I am writing a biography. And sprinkled in there, a bunch of wonderful Pennsylvanian and Cretaceous collecting. Thanks to Tully Hair @thair and admin John Jackson @JohnJ for their participation in these adventures. What an amazing trip!

3 xenacanth teeth and a fragment of Eryops jaw from the Permian of OK

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Jonas Studio T. rex from the 1964 World's Fair at Dinosaur Valley State Park, TX

5.jpg

Elongate theropod track with reflection of fossil hunter Edlin Pitts at Dinosaur Valley State Park, TX

6.jpg

Complete Cretaceous Phymosoma peeking out of road cut and an ammonite my wife found near Lampasas, TX

7.jpg8.jpg

Pennsylvanian Petalodus tooth from near Grosvenor, TX in the wild and in the hand9.jpg10.jpg

Complete Cretaceous ?Tetragramma that my wife found near Lometa, TX

11.jpg

My wife and John canoeing in central TX hunting for Cretaceous goodies

12.jpg

A surprise Pedernales Point (thanks for the ID @JohnJ!) from a gravel bar in central TX

13.jpg

RT Bird's "swimming" sauropod trackway at Mayan Ranch, Bandera, TX

14.jpg

2 shots of the Davenport Ranch dinosaur tracks with Davenport descendants

15.jpg

16.jpg

Edited by Carl
  • I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 23

Akkkk... Can seem to figure out how to make the pix stay in order, but I think y'all are sharp enough to figure it all out.

Great finds, and yes, the PermianFest was great!  

I think, if you go to edit post, you can delete the pics out of the thread, and then click "add" on each one, in order from the uploaded images at the bottom.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

9 minutes ago, hadrosauridae said:

Great finds, and yes, the PermianFest was great!  

I think, if you go to edit post, you can delete the pics out of the thread, and then click "add" on each one, in order from the uploaded images at the bottom.

Yep: tried that. Failed. But thanks!

53 minutes ago, Carl said:

Akkkk... Can seem to figure out how to make the pix stay in order, but I think y'all are sharp enough to figure it all out.

Never mind! Fixed it!

• Enjoyed 1

1 hour ago, Carl said:

Complete Cretaceous ?Tetragramma that my wife found south of Lometa, TX

Hard to tell from so far away, but to my understanding if the tubercles are perforate (little indentations at the tips of them), then it is Tetragramma. If not, then Phymosoma would be the better ID. Those genera can look really similar and sometimes weathering can even make tubercles look perforate when they originally weren't and vice versa.

Loving all the neat finds, especially that point and the Petalodus tooth. Congrats!

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

25 minutes ago, EPIKLULSXDDDDD said:

Hard to tell from so far away, but to my understanding if the tubercles are perforate (little indentations at the tips of them), then it is Tetragramma. If not, then Phymosoma would be the better ID. Those genera can look really similar and sometimes weathering can even make tubercles look perforate when they originally weren't and vice versa.

Loving all the neat finds, especially that point and the Petalodus tooth. Congrats!

That's what I learned, too! I'll scrutinize both of these more when they get a bit more cleaned up.

Looks like a dream trip! Thanks for the report with the drool-worthy imagery.

Cheers.

-Ken

• Thank You 1

so cool! That in situ Phymosoma blew my socks off!

• Enjoyed 1

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

@Carl, it was a pleasure showing y'all another facet of the Lone Star State.  

IMG_20230305_084035044_HDR.jpg

1744317074_Screenshot_20230309-1734592.png

1615077673_Screenshot_20230309-1733382.png

• Enjoyed 3

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

The 1st sea urchin is indeed a Phymosoma (you can clearly see the imperforate tubercles when zooming in)

The second is indeed a Tetragramma (you can clearly see the perforated tubercles)

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

That very first urchin picture is so beautiful! It looks a lot like a Phymosoma texanum - I have a friend who just pulled one out of the Walnut although maybe you were in Glen Rose formation territory. Happy to read that Texas was a great adventure, the fossils here seriously rock

I love the name of the canoe! :P 

• Enjoyed 2

6 hours ago, caterpillar said:

The 1st sea urchin is indeed a Phymosoma (you can clearly see the imperforate tubercles when zooming in)

The second is indeed a Tetragramma (you can clearly see the perforated tubercles)

Thanks so much!

So glad you had a great trip!  I'm truly sorry I had to bail out on the hunt for Pennsylvanian shark teeth.  It sure looks like you did well and had fun.  

I've waded creeks with John.  He is at home on Texas water. 

That looks 99.9% like a Tetragramma. Always a great find.

Great Report!

• Enjoyed 2