Fossils of Giant short faced bear

jasonlwjy

Is it hard to find materials from giant short faced bear (arctodus simus)? Cannot find its material online other than the ones from museums. Could anyone share their arctodus simus collection or any photos related to arctodus simus materials? Would be really grateful to see some of them!

Partial-cranium-with-right-maxilla-premaxilla-and-dentition-of-Arctodus-simus-USHS_W640.jpg

Edited by jasonlwjy
  • Enjoyed 1

That's a rare one.  I've a lot of Smilodon specimens for sale across over 30 years of collecting compared to that.  I think I've seen just a jaw section and a toe bone of A. simus and I don't have either.

I've seen lots of Pleistocene tar pit material but any kind of bear stuff is super-rare.  I saw a bear astragulus for sale maybe 10 years ago and I should've bought it when I had that chance but it was pricey for an astragulus.  It was the right shape for a bear.  The dealer had it as a fossil grizzly and it eventually sold.

32 minutes ago, CDiggs said:

Thanks a lot! These 3d models are great!

56 minutes ago, siteseer said:

That's a rare one.  I've a lot of Smilodon specimens for sale across over 30 years of collecting compared to that.  I think I've seen just a jaw section and a toe bone of A. simus and I don't have either.

I've seen lots of Pleistocene tar pit material but any kind of bear stuff is super-rare.  I saw a bear astragulus for sale maybe 10 years ago and I should've bought it when I had that chance but it was pricey for an astragulus.  It was the right shape for a bear.  The dealer had it as a fossil grizzly and it eventually sold.

Thanks for the information! By the way, were those smilodon specimens from Florida? I haven't seen them available online for a long time

I know of only one find, personally. An acquaintance found a tooth in eastern NC. She donated it to one of the museums

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

2 minutes ago, hemipristis said:

I know of only one find, personally. An acquaintance found a tooth in eastern NC. She donated it to one of the museums

Do you have photos or any more information about that specimen?

You likely have seen Nate's post

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

4 hours ago, jasonlwjy said:

Do you have photos or any more information about that specimen?

Unfortunately not.  I believe it was donated to the NC state museum.  It would have been back in the ~1995-2000 timeframe. It was found in the Richlands Quarry.  Perhaps a call to the museum’s fossil curator?

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

On 3/10/2023 at 2:28 PM, jasonlwjy said:

Thanks for the information! By the way, were those smilodon specimens from Florida? I haven't seen them available online for a long time

I had a Smilodon toe bone from Florida long ago.  I bought it from a mail order company around 1990.  I had a jaw section and a couple of teeth from Maricopa, CA.  I've seen other tar pit Smilodon stuff.