First Hunt Of The Year Or Maybe Second.

Guest Nicholas

Guest Nicholas

Yeah so I decided to brave the weather and check out where contruction crews had been digging in a field for the past few weeks. I really didn't find a thing, there was evidence of coal, some small coal fragments, sandstone and a bit of shale. I first hit the site and went after the shale.. Pretty sure I cracked every piece finding nothing. I then checked the sand stone and all around the coal deposits with zero luck. I did find an unusual rock though. I found it while digging in piles of soil. It is reddish to purple in color and has white veins in it. I'll post a picture of it sooner or later. Oh it is also very dense, I tried cracking it to see its innards but I got nothing but sparks. I'm thinking a piece of Granite or Jasper perhaps?

Guest N.AL.hunter

I just don't understand it Nicholas. Around here if you find coal, you will find some fossils. Some areas better than others, but there are always something to find. Boy is your luck going to change in a couple of weeks when you make it down to Indiana.

Guest Nicholas
I just don't understand it Nicholas. Around here if you find coal, you will find some fossils. Some areas better than others, but there are always something to find. Boy is your luck going to change in a couple of weeks when you make it down to Indiana.

Cris said the exact same thing to me. People can't believe when I tell them. I look really closely, I'm careful and cautious... I left a huge crater where I was. I don't understand either, it doesn't discourage though.

Nicholas,

I don't know where you are in Cape Breton but one place to look for fossils is where there has been dredging out of a harbour to deepen it. I don't remember where exactly but it was on Bras D'Or Lake 25 years or so ago my brother and I collected some Pliocene material and shark teeth in the dredging debris. We also found some nice coral pieces. If you see or hear of any dredging going on, stop and go through the debris. Most of it will be current material but even in that you can get some collectable non-fossils such as pristine shells and skeletal pieces.

Archived