Baby something? Turtle?

KayTee

Found in Moab, Utah in a creek or stream. It's hard to get pictures showing the true shape but this can't be just another rock. 

IMG_20230313_141910632.jpg

IMG_20230313_141743717_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230313_141720962_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230313_141827144_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230313_141831864_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230313_141748942_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230313_141906419.jpg

IMG_20230313_140615860_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230313_141814244_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230313_141801316_HDR.jpg

To my eye, it looks to be a weathered rock and not a fossil. One would generally expect more symmetry and presence of bones to be a vertebrate fossil. 

• I Agree 5

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

So there's no chance of it being a baby dinosaur that didn't get a chance to hatch and fell out of an egg.....lol. Just kidding! (Does kinda look like one) It's awfully lumpy and bumpy to be a rock, but I'll take your word for it. Thanks again.

turtle embryology:

zsj.1reptf8.705.pdf

Kay Tee, prenatal, perinatal, and neonatal animals have a different degree of calcificaton of their skeleton (lower than adults),which causes a huge taphonomic bias*.

(*taphonomy: the discipline that concerns itself with all of the processes that cause and influence the transition from a part of the biosphere to the stratigraphic record("what causes an animal to be fossilized,possibly collected,and possibly determined zoologicallÿ)

In other words: young animals (juveniles) have an even lower preservation potential than mature/adult individuals.

Some embryos were found, inside eggs, but that was partly due to the special micro-environment inside the egg.

edit:

So I agree with previous opinions voiced in this post, this is NOT a "baby something".

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, KayTee said:

It's awfully lumpy and bumpy to be a rock, but I'll take your word for it.

Check these out.

• Thank You 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I wouldn't totally rule out some very worn bryozoan or coral, but that is about the best I could do for a fossil and not knowing what types are possibly found in the Moab area, that may be a stretch.  What I remember from Moab generally doesn't include marine invertebrates, but I could be wrong.

I don't know. It's was once under water Im told, that's how the canyons were created it I don't know. I'm just here working. Thanks for trying. I will find one yet. That's literally ALL there is to do here.