Brandy Cole

I found what I believe to be a lumbar vertebra, and I'm having trouble finding good comparison examples between equus and bison.  I think those are my two most likely candidates.

Do equus lumbar vertebrae have the foramen that I've circled in red below?

PXL_20230315_005437382~3.jpg

PXL_20230315_005437382~2.jpg

PXL_20230315_005418149~2.jpg

PXL_20230315_005406350~2.jpg

PXL_20230315_005427103~2.jpg

PXL_20230315_155347050~2.jpg

PXL_20230315_155359984~2.jpg

PXL_20230315_155415522~2.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

Seems to match bison over Equus - 

this thread shows varying examples that look like matches to me.

• Thank You 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

@Meganeura Thanks!  I was leaning toward bison based on that thread actually.  But since the thread also raised the possibility of equus, I began trying to figure out if there are solid distinctions I could make. 

It looks like equus lumbar verts seem to come to a much shaper line at the ventral base than mine does, for one thing.

But I also got curious about that lateral foramen.  From what I can find online, it looks like equus lumbar verts don't have them.  But it's hard for me to find good comparison pics of that for equus.

1 minute ago, Brandy Cole said:

@Meganeura Thanks!  I was leaning toward bison based on that thread actually.  But since the thread also raised the possibility of equus, I began trying to figure out if there are solid distinctions I could make. 

It looks like equus lumbar verts seem to come to a much shaper line at the ventral base than mine does, for one thing.

But I also got curious about that lateral foramen.  From what I can find online, it looks like equus lumbar verts don't have them.  But it's hard for me to find good comparison pics of that for equus.

I’m not sure what they’re called, and can’t seem to find any diagrams that name them - but the dimples/sockets next to the articulated surfaces on Equus lumbar verts seem much closer together in pics I could find - versus having a separation, like yours, in bison. 

• I found this Informative 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg: