Llama Camelid Earbones

Shellseeker

As some note, I am trying to identify mammal ear bones found in SW Florida (and hopefully other Southeast US locations.

In this case, Camelids. Hopefully with assistance from @Plantguy and @Harry Pristis

I found this single photo on Worthpoint,  probably put there by Nate.  identified as Hemiauchenia.

HemiaucheniaEarbone.jpg.aca2afa2998b5f92d80ff5fe40e25ecb.jpg

On August 23rd, 2009 while searching at Quality Aggregate Pit in North Fort Myers,  I found this land find. It's length is quite large just under 3 inches.  I have come to believe that it comes from either Hemiauchenia or Mirifica,  the 2 fossil camelids in the Florida Pleistocene record.  To me , it is much larger and different from any of the many Equus earbones that I have found.

2009August_Landfind.jpg.73e8f6e02eef707d10bc1bc383bda093.jpg2009August_Landfind2.jpg.bcaf09730cf322041b8f897f8ee26ada.jpg2009August_Landfind3.jpg.3a05a579416b1b3b15a674c46eab9832.jpg2009August23rd_Landfind4.jpg.b999b868a32f56ae47261cf465b29be0.jpg

Frankly, I am seeking other mammal earbones that might be camelid.

I am interested in all fossil mammal earbones.  However , to maintain clarity, if they are obviously not similar in shape and size, please open a new Fossil ID thread for them.

For some reason, these camelid earbones seem more rare that their astragalus, calcaneum, or carpals/tarsals. i my hunting areas. 

• Enjoyed 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

That's a good image from Worthpoint, but I am reluctant to accept identification from any commercial site.  Do you think the Worthpoint specimen resembles this one?

image.png.73d72eac816e2a61e28516e68377abd5.png

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

49 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

That's a good image from Worthpoint, but I am reluctant to accept identification from any commercial site.  Do you think the Worthpoint specimen resembles this one?

Worthpoint only provided the single photo (no reverse), with no size included. It sounded like @PrehistoricFlorida

DescriptionHemiauchenia.JPG.2520aedcbddc0e3df16d3cc29a8120b9.JPG

It was the only other reference I have been able to find.. Pretty clearly, my 2009 find is significantly larger than any of the Equus earbones I have found since (approx 45 mm). I have always been concerned that the WorthPoint example seems very similar to Equus in shape.

This sidebyside is pretty close, and sort of leaves me with the 1 factoid that my find is 70 plus mm.  Inconclusive   !!! :unsure:

SidebySide.jpg.6519ebee3711212e35e77dbefb98aad2.jpg

I would love to see another example.....

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Here is some help , Harry

Deer and Bovids from the Pleistocene of France... I need to focus on research papers like this one

Abstract
We describe the petrosal bone and its associated bony labyrinth (the bony capsule for the inner ear which is the organ of balance and hearing) of five ruminant species of the emblematic lower Pleistocene French locality Senèze. They include two deer (Cervidae) Eucladoceros ctenoides senezensis and Metacervoceros rhenanus philisi and three bovids (Bovidae), the bovine Leptobos (Smertiobos)
etruscus, the antilopine Gazellospira torticornis and the caprine Gallogoral meneghinii

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Left-petrosal-bone-and-digital-reconstruction-of-the-bony-labyrinth-of-the-deer-E_fig1_330737688

This is Odocoileus virginianus:

484299876_petrosalodocoileusvirgA.jpeg.65f4e6c08c199308cca39c8f9ef42660.jpeg

one cm scale bar

123671814_petrosalodocoileusvirgB.jpeg.3f5b0b33654067bb947dd79968676119.jpeg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

46 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

This is Odocoileus virginianus:

Think I found one,  thought it was from a small horse

SmHorseEarboneText.thumb.jpg.5d1c70121b70b4c7d1232d3d3d401f49.jpg

We are getting there... I just have a lot of reading to do....

See discussions, stats, and author profiles for this publication at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/312279596
The Ear of Mammals: From Monotremes to Humans

This chart...  note the bottom line.

4mammalPetrosals.JPG.c13e861fa886b93ab93ce359e2db492a.JPG

Hey Guys,

I'm intrigued as all get out, but not worth much at this point and am getting ready for some major home repairs and the few ID'd specimens I have are still somewhere in the storage mess. I also surely wish I had a serious knowledge of the anatomical details of these things but I'm only a step or two above a rookie at best! My desire to know more though is off the chart.

I did in the last few evenings after work did go into Google scholar and ran across a number of examples/articles and pictures of petrosals. I was trying to go thru some of the bison/bos stuff to see their possible relevance and learn some. I wish I had more time to chase the great questions you are posing. 

I did also find 2 smaller specimens while looking for the others in my collection. 30mm and 40mm and wont post here as they seem irrelevant to this specimen. 

Continued hunting and researching success! 

Regards, Chris 

• Thank You 1