Sign in to follow this  
Guest N.AL.hunter

Alabama Carboniferous Fossils

Guest N.AL.hunter

Ashburn Drive, Huntsville, Alabama. Between Carl T. Jones Drive and Highway-431. Over Blevin's Gap where it becomes 4-mile post road. Mostly on the Eastern slope. Archimedes, Blastoids, Brachiopods, Crinoids (few), Bryozoans (besides Archimedes). Mississippian and Pennsylvanian age. Hartselle Shale/Bangor Limestone. Easy to collect, very little equipment needed.

MikeD

That's going into my list of sites to visit should I find myself near there unexpectedly.

crinoid1

About 3 years ago, I went up there and found a few VERY nice mississippian sharks teeth - as well as a few phanocrinus calyxes

Guest N.AL.hunter

I have not been up there in a couple of years and need to do some more careful searching. While I do have shark's teeth from near there, I have yet to find a whole one from this site, but I am sure they are there as I have found pieces (I do not keep pieces less than 75%).

crinoid1

A couple of hundred feet from there is the St genevieve limestone. that is where you have the amazing crinoid calyxes - ill post pictures

crinoid1
A couple of hundred feet from there is the St genevieve limestone. that is where you have the amazing crinoid calyxes - ill post pictures

down from there

crinoid1

That fossil site has been picked over too much - a couple of years ago, it was nice. Now you would be lucky to find anything worth keeping.