Suggestions Needed! Eastern Oregon Collecting Tour

Nathaniel Edmonds

Hello all!!

I am a graduate student at Oregon State University, a geologist by trade, but a paleobotanist on the side (see my publication :https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/abs/10.1086/721261?journalCode=ijps). I am going to add to my Paleocene fossil plant collections, and am going to make a tour all around eastern Oregon. I will of course visit Fossil (again) for some more Bridge Creek Flora specimens, but do not personally know the area super well. Do any of you have any recommendations for plant fossil locations where I can legally collect? It would mean the world to me, I am trying to make my collection more robust, and hopefully produce some scientific literature from them. I would be open to non-plant fossils as well. 

I know the Mitchell area has some plants, (Bridge Creek also) and will be in that area, but if any of you have specific spots anywhere in eastern Oregon, I would be much obliged.

I understand the sensitivity behind disclosing locations, so if you dont feel comfortable, want to keep things secret, maybe just drop me a hint, I am a geologist, and if put in the right area, will be able to find fossils on my own, I just need some help, eastern Oregon is SUPER big!!!!

Thank you!!!

-Nathaniel Edmonds

Hello Nathaniel,

Not sure if you are aware of this website.

The information is very old, and no longer accurate, but it is a great place to start your research from.

The information is listed by county, so, here is a county map, as well.  ;)

Good luck..

Oregon-County-Map.png

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me