Couple bones to identify...

m4rsh4ll

56 minutes ago, m4rsh4ll said:

Can you help to identify?

Well, put simply not in this presentation. Can you split it into more manageable bits ? or at least label the pieces in some way ?

Ok those two think are a megaloceros gigantus.

You have to understand, all I asking for id saying its cow... or somerhing like that, I went to museum in my town and girl said its nothing important, some buttcher store, writting on paleontologist forums, and everybody sais blah blah, I know how looks fossils and how heavy they are, also found really not heavy bones but think they are also fossils, I think I found a very important spot of fossils cause they looks like beeing cut by humans hand not now but like 8.000 years ago, but they all say it trash.. I am looking hours and hours all it goes to ice age.. the spot I have found is like winning a 1.000.000 dollars it happens once or happens not in life.. all sais its cow.. loook at them carefully, think they are bison priscus, ancient horce and megaloceros in one spot, also might be some ancient cows, but not todays..

20230317_201806.jpg

20230317_202133.jpg

Edited by m4rsh4ll

6 minutes ago, m4rsh4ll said:

Ok those two think are a megaloceros gigantus

Seems possible to me. A look at the chewing (occlusal) surface may be needed. I'm mostly helping more knowledgeable folks who will be along eventually though. 

3 hours ago, m4rsh4ll said:

My

movie

First off I should mention that I'm a professional Archaeologist and Paleontologist with a particular focus in Pleistocene material and over 10 years of experience with cultural and paleontologic material of this nature. That said, I'm afraid you'll not like the answer I have for you, as it doesn't seem to differ any from your local museum. While the cut surface on the bone in this video is certainly anthropogenic, it's absolutely not prehistoric. The striations on the cut surface are from a metal saw and not consistent with any tools possessed by prehistoric humans. If this was found at the same locality and stratigraphic position as the other bones I wouldn't be comfortable dating these any older than the medieval period at the oldest without multiple independent radiocarbon dates proving otherwise. If you're getting consistent answers from multiple professionals with relevant experience, as much as you might disagree or dislike those answers, it's probably best to accept the wisdom of the experts. I know this isn't the answer you'd like to hear, but I hope it doesn't discourage you from learning more and keep searching for fossils. Best of luck.

Edit; Two things I should have mentioned the first time. First is that the kerf profile or the angle of the cut is also consistent with a metal saw and not possible with paleolithic technology, so its not just the striations on the cut surface that lead me to this interpretation. Second is that even with experience it can be incredibly difficult to differentiate between cultural and paleontologic material, so your reluctance to accept a historic interpretation is understandable. For example, I almost picked up modern bones (200 years old or less) contaminating a Pleistocene locality just last Tuesday and I've processed bones for stable isotope mass spectrometry securely dated at 1000 years before present that seemed mineralized and had low collagen yields.

Edited by CDiggs
one misspelling and two new ideas
  • I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 1