Review of HW-322 and HW-70 Scribes

Gramps

During the past few years, I have tried several methods of fossil preparation, including manual prepping with needles and pin vises as well as some chemical techniques. Earlier this year, I decided to try pneumatic scribes and I purchased two of the Hardy Winkler models. Before deciding on these two scribes, I was informed by the helpful comments of others on the Forum. I am now submitting my comments in the hope of adding to those reviews.

Since scribes must be selected with specific purposes in mind, I will state that I am a hobbyist (not a professional) and collect relatively small fossils (ranging from couple of millimeters to a few centimeters in their longest dimensions). Also, most of the fossils I find are partially embedded in limestones, mudstones, shales, and phosphate nodules. I do nearly all of my preparation under a stereo microscope.

Since my fossils are mostly small, I wanted scribes with a range of uses from very fine micro work up to moderate matrix removal. I also wanted scribes that impart minimal vibration to protect delicate fossils (as well as my own nerves and blood vessels). Finally, I wanted scribes that operate at relatively low air pressures and air volumes so I would not have to replace my 30-year-old compressor.

Based on reviews in the Forum (and other sources), I decided to try the highly-adjustable HW-322 and HW-70. Skipping to the punch line, I am very happy with both scribes. They complement each other well enough to cover the entire range of my needs. For those who may be considering these scribes, the following comments will provide some pros and cons of the two models.

HW-322. This scribe operates with a pointed chisel that floats in a removable head. The chisel is driven by a piston. The movement of the piston is affected by air pressure from an external regulator, a tuning adjustment in the body of the device, the actions of o-rings, and a spring. Here is an overview of how the tool’s action can be adjusted to fit the work:

1. The HW-322 typically comes with two different springs: A soft spring and a hard spring. Use the soft spring for intricate cleaning of delicate fossils. Switch to the hard spring for chiseling away somewhat larger amounts of matrix.

2. Two types of pointed 1.3 mm needles are available: Use the fine-tip needle for delicate work. Use the standard needle for less-fine uses.

3. You can vary the air pressure with the supplied regulator: For fine work with the soft spring, you can set the pressure anywhere in the range of about 0.5-1.4 bar (7-20 psi). For less-fine work with the hard spring, you can operate in the range of 0.9-1.8 bar (13-26 psi). At 1.0 bar of pressure, air consumption with the soft spring is about 17 liters per minute (0.6 cfm). With the hard spring at 1.4 bar of pressure, air consumption is about 20 liters per minute (0.7 cfm).

4. The twist-to-tune feature in the body adjusts the depth of stroke through a range of movement from a nearly imperceptible vibration of the needle to full engagement of the needle with the piston.

With all of these adjustments, the tool can be configured for a range of work so broad that it’s almost like two or more scribes in one. With the soft spring and fine needle, this tool handles all of my needs for ultra-fine work. With the hard spring and standard needle, I can use the tool will remove matrix to a depth of a few millimeters over areas of a few square centimeters.

Negatives/cons. As with all tools, there are some limitations. My main complaint relates to the difficulty of finding consistent technical information and instructions for the user. Some retailers offer their own pdf summary sheets and videos with use and care tips; however, there are occasional discrepancies in the advice, and I have yet to find a definitive user’s manual from the actual manufacturer. As another negative, the scribe is designed to be used only in a forward bulldozing motion. Sweeping the scribe from side to side is discouraged because side movement may cause abnormal wear to the nylon head bushing. This means you may not be able to use the scribe to sweep away tool tool marks (I am currently removing my scribe marks manually, with a hobby-type razor tool). Finally, due to limited manufacturing, retailers are often out of stock, and waiting lists are sometimes long.

Most retailers sell the HW-322 in a package with one tip, both springs, a 0-4 bar air regulator with fittings, and an air hose. Mine came with European fittings, so I had to order a global-style high-flow quick connect socket (which I could not get at the local hardware stores).

1252307607_1.HW-322Kit.thumb.jpg.ef9936c32bcd09f39d1d0b95e97c876b.jpg

1446756536_3.HW-322Head.thumb.JPG.19388b8b2e098d6c9f52ebd5aac9acce.JPG

1498679981_4.HW-322Springs.thumb.JPG.877e2c364f7c0df7a0f9f4638865e077.JPG

780561466_5.HW-322Tuning.thumb.JPG.986aa7bc03254422f7f5c29160aea229.JPG

HW-70. The HW-70 can be adjusted for a range of uses from borderline-fine work to moderate matrix removal. Adjustments in the action of the tool are affected by the many needle sizes/styles and by varying the air pressure from the regulator, as follows:

1. Three sizes of pointed heads/needles are available (1.3 mm, 2.0 mm, and 3.0 mm). In addition, some needles are also available with chisel or hybrid tips. With the 1.3 mm pointed tip, it is possible to work relatively close to many fossils. With the larger needles in different styles, you can remove rather significant amounts of matrix in short order.

2. The overall aggressiveness of the tool is controlled by adjusting the operating pressure at the regulator. The HW-70 works well at a range of pressures from about 0.3-2.0 bar (4-29 psi). Air consumption at 2 bar is about 20 liters per minute (0.7 cfm).

At low pressures with the thinnest needle, the HW-70 seems to pick up where the HW-322 leaves off. Although I always do my finish work with the HW-322, I’m happy I have the HW-70 for quicker matrix removal in the harder and larger rocks.

Negatives/cons. On the negative side, the same cons apply as already mentioned for the HW-322: A disappointing lack of documentation from the manufacturer, the inability to use the scribe in a side-to-side sweeping motion, and limited availability.

1516469477_2.HW-70Kit.thumb.JPG.e31e5c9116d64c0ebb338780185badd2.JPG

Concluding comments. If you are looking for high-quality scribes with minimal air supply requirements, one or both of these models may be worth considering. Before buying any scribe, I recommend you search for other reviews on this Forum. When searching for reviews, keep in mind that some members include the dash in the model numbers and others do not. Therefore, you may find more reviews if you try separate searches for HW-322 and HW322. Also try separate searches for HW-70 and HW70. If you are new to preparation work, you’ll also want to study the many informative forum posts regarding fossil repair, consolidation, and general prepping techniques.

It may be worth noting that I decided to try pneumatic scribes because I tend to damage fossils when I push too hard with manual pin vises and needles. I do not have this problem with pneumatic scribes because the scribes do all the work and remove matrix with very little pushing. In fact, the HW-322 will often remove the last remaining bits of matrix from delicate fossils when the tool is held perfectly still with the needle just barely touching the matrix.

There are some items you’ll need that are not provided by the manufacturer, including an air compressor, an air filter, a hose from the compressor to the filter, and all of the fittings between the compressor and the quick-connect fitting that is provided with the regulator. If you are working on small fossils, you will also benefit greatly from a stereo microscope. All of this can be expensive (not bass-boat expensive, but it may still require some time to save up).

As with any scribe, the standard warnings apply: wear eye protection (unless your eyes are pressed against a pair of microscope lenses), wear respiratory protection such as a NIOSH-approved N-95 or P-100 respirator as protection against crystalline silica ( https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/silica/ ), and if you use a scribe frequently or in cold environments be sure to learn about hand-arm vibration syndrome ( https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/ergonomics/default.html#vib ).

Best wishes.

• I found this Informative 5
  • Enjoyed 1

Thanks for the review, I use both and they are great. Only problem..., they are hard to get. It is a small company producing them and sometimes you have to wait months or longer for one. But, when you get it it´s a tool for life!

Thank you for the review.

I have the HW-70, and really like it. The only problem I have had (though it is my problem, not anyone elses), is that I purchased the standard length for all of the styli, and they don't work great for bulk matrix removal or getting into tight spaces... 

Cheers and Shalom,

-Micah

Thanks for all this info.  I got an HW-70 as a gift many years ago, and like you, I do much of my work under the ole binocular scope.  I found that the stylus (needle) does not go forward to the same place regularly, so it is too random for detail work.  I have heard from many others that these tools vibrate a lot less than PaleoTools tools,  but my Paleotools No 5 MicroJack is much smoother than the HW-70.  My HW-70 sits unused most of the time.  

I do like the idea that the 322 comes with two springs...

2 hours ago, fossilhunter21 said:

I have the HW-70, and really like it. The only problem I have had (though it is my problem, not anyone elses), is that I purchased the standard length for all of the styli, and they don't work great for bulk matrix removal or getting into tight spaces... 

Cheers and Shalom,

-Micah

its possible to change, I will send you a pm with the contact-details of a shop in germany who can deliever

Hi, @rocket.

Thanks for the PM. :)

Yeah, I am going to need to get one or two longer styluses, unfortunately... I will hopefully be able to order one or two in a few days. 

Cheers and Shalom,

-Micah 

• Enjoyed 1

Nice write up Gramps,

I have searched but I cannot seem to locate where you can purchase any HW scribes. I already a few paleo jacks, aro, CP's etc. but I am putting a second cabinet together and would like ot have dedicated scribes for it.

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"

25 minutes ago, AeroMike said:

Nice write up Gramps,

I have searched but I cannot seem to locate where you can purchase any HW scribes. I already a few paleo jacks, aro, CP's etc. but I am putting a second cabinet together and would like ot have dedicated scribes for it.

If  you are on this side of the pond (USA/Canada/Mexico), The Stone Company in Boulder, CO is the dealer.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

I own several scribes, but I use the HW-70 for 95% of the time when prepping dinosaur material. I use a different scribe only when doing really microscopic stuff (non-dino).

There are two reasons why I use the HW-70:

- The scribe does not stall. I wasted so much time with my other scribes doing maintenance all the time to keep them working.

- The HW-70 was recommended to me by professional museum staff who use their scribes for several hours a day. They claim that the vibrations on the hand are much lower than with other scribes featuring the same output power. Lower vibrations reduce the chance of health issues.

I found that sideway "sweeping" is ok when working on soft matrix. At least it did not damage the guide in my case.

Since vibration is a topic of interest, I will mention that the two scribes have a very different feel and sound. According to a German distributor, the HW-70 operates at about 8,000 strokes per minute (about 130 cycles per second; 130 Hz), while the HW-322 operates at about 35,000 strokes per minute (about 580 cps; 580 Hz). The HW-70 transfers much more energy per stroke, compared with the HW-322. In my grasp, the HW-70 feels like a mini-jackhammer, while the HW-30 feels like a high-quality electric shaver (a very subjective appraisal; others may have differing opinions). For those interested in hand-arm vibration syndrome, it would probably require a special instrument (accelerometer) to answer that question.

With respect to performance, I am wondering how the HW-322 compares with some of the smaller micro-jacks. Does anyone have experience that would provide comparisons?

Best wishes.

I was inspired by this discussion to try my HW-70 for major matrix removal last night... and I LIKE IT!  Works faster than the microjack No 5 that I had been using without excessive vibration that makes the rock fall apart in places away from the working tip.  I need to compare it to the Aro tool next. 

I only use my HW70 for moderate matrix removal. For bulk removal, the ME9100 is much quicker. One has to be careful not to damage the fossil with the ME9100 as it is far more aggressive than the HW70, but it is quick. :default_rofl:

I have not encountered the inconsistency of stroke mentioned here with my HW70. The more powerful strike was helpful with my recent bird prep. It allowed areas of matrix on the feathers to pop off where the HW322 cut through the matrix. The combination of the two was great. 70 for most of the feather work and 322 for the paper thin bones!

The ZOIC Microraptor and Velociraptor operate in a similar power range as the 322 and 70 but the stroke length is longer. Under high magnification (50x or so) they are difficult to use as the stylus becomes a long blur rather than a short blur on the HW scribes. The stroke length adjustment on the 322 is a genius idea. I turned it way down and was able to get right up to the bone without hitting it at all. It was well worth the 10 month wait to get it!!

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks to everyone who is providing scribe comparison information. I'm wondering if anyone has compared the HW-10 to the HW-322 and/or HW70? Is the HW-10 simply an older, lower-priced model, or does it still have unique purpose in the Hardy Winkler line?

Best wishes.

I received the new styluses today! Now I can get into some tighter spaces, and remove large amounts of matrix without scratching up the tool. Now I have 6 styluses...20230329_151303.thumb.jpg.f0fa0ed6bbf7312b2c3a651f8f6e8ce5.jpg

On 3/22/2023 at 3:48 PM, Gramps said:

I'm wondering if anyone has compared the HW-10 to the HW-322 and/or HW70? Is the HW-10 simply an older, lower-priced model, or does it still have unique purpose in the Hardy Winkler line?

Best wishes.

I have also wondered how the HW-10, and also the HW-1 compare to some of the other scribes. I think the HW-10 is kind of an in-between tool. Not great at bulk matrix removal, and not amazing at detail work. It would be interesting to try out these two scribes, and see how they compare to some others.

Cheers and Shalom,

-Micah

17 hours ago, fossilhunter21 said:

I have also wondered how the HW-10, and also the HW-1 compare to some of the other scribes. I think the HW-10 is kind of an in-between tool. Not great at bulk matrix removal, and not amazing at detail work. It would be interesting to try out these two scribes, and see how they compare to some others.

Cheers and Shalom,

-Micah

I have 8 different scribes in a variety of configurations, some overlapping each other in power. This allows me to respond to individual matrices as needed. I cringe at the memory of doing all my prep with a stock Aro!!!

11 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I have 8 different scribes in a variety of configurations, some overlapping each other in power. This allows me to respond to individual matrices as needed. I cringe at the memory of doing all my prep with a stock Aro!!!

I still can't imagine prepping with that many scribes... It would be like prepping heaven!

Never used an Aro in my life (yes, I am spoiled... :P), but yeah it does not sound fun to prep with just a stock Aro...  But, I guess it works for some people. 

Cheers and Shalom,

-Micah

I've done some passably good work with an Aro clone in the past. It just takes a lot more time and care, and acknowledging the limits of the tool. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

3 hours ago, fossilhunter21 said:

I still can't imagine prepping with that many scribes... It would be like prepping heaven!

Never used an Aro in my life (yes, I am spoiled... :P), but yeah it does not sound fun to prep with just a stock Aro...  But, I guess it works for some people. 

Cheers and Shalom,

-Micah

3 hours ago, Kane said:

I've done some passably good work with an Aro clone in the past. It just takes a lot more time and care, and acknowledging the limits of the tool. 

The main problem with the Aro design is that the collet on the front end is significantly softer than the stylus. There's a fair amount of stylus wandering when it's new but it really gest bad as the collet wears. I converted my stock Aro to a PaleoAro (pretty simple process to drive the collet out of the front end and replace with the Paleo Tools model) several years ago and that made a huge difference... Until I dropped the scribe and broke the stylus a couple of times. :default_rofl: 

I don't use the FrankenAro very much anymore...

• I found this Informative 2

I did not know that about the stock Aros... Makes sense... 

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Until I dropped the scribe and broke the stylus a couple of times. :default_rofl: 

Yeah, that is not fun! I have only broken a couple styluses, but it costs a lot to replace one, or sharpen one.

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I don't use the FrankenAro very much anymore... Maybe I should sell it to a budding prepper.

I am realizing that I need something for smoothing matrix, as my HW-70 can't be used for that...

Cheers and Shalom,

-Micah

It is the mark of a prepper to bust a few stylii from being butter-fingered or tangled up in the hoses. I've had my fair share of Pferd ones get... shattered (shadoobeh). :P 

But just as an example of perseverance in using the wrong tool for the job still resulting in something good, I've done extremely fine detail work using the ME-9100 in a pinch. The amount of control needed to pull that off is nothing short of a miracle. :D 

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

@Ptychodus04 @fossilhunter21

Gentle reminder - talk of selling or buying is relegated to the Member to Member Sales Forum. (Or PMs.)  ;)

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

1 minute ago, Fossildude19 said:

@Ptychodus04 @fossilhunter21

Gentle reminder - talk of selling or buying is relegated to the Member to Member Sales Forum. (Or PMs.)  ;)

Thanks for keeping us in line. It’s a tough job!

• I Agree 1

Also, just thought I would say that I can actually run my HW-70 down to pressures of less than 2 psi. When the pressure is turned down this low, it is almost like holding a needle, with just a tiny bit of vibration. 

Cheers and Shalom,

-Micah